Forum home Family life & relationships Relationships
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Father/son relationship

my son hasn’t seen his ‘dad’ for 2 years. His ’dad’ has had another baby and has recently got in touch asking to see our son. 

Im not sure on what to do for the best. My son has been asking to meet his real dad but I’m worried this is just another phase the he is going though and my sons father will walk out his life for the 3rd time.

my partner has brought my son up since he was 18months and my son thinks of him as a dad. He says that the father has a lot to prove. 

Replies

• Options

This is a bery difficult situation and i jnderstand that you are anxious anout your son being let down. However i do think you should give him a chance. Your son has a new sibling which would be lovely for him to get to know and he will always be curious about his dad. If you stop contact your son may reaent you in the future

if possible speak to your sons dad and explain your worries try to make the contact short and wasy to start with. An hour a week. Maybe now he has another baby he will take more responsibilty. If it doesnt work out at least you know you tried.

Your son will be able to make his own judgements and if dad does walk away again he will learn that its not because of you.

Its very easy to see the negative but try to turn it around and look at what might be positive. If it does work out your son has an extra parent and sibling to loved and be loved by.

ultimately you need to be happy with the decision that you make and thats what is most important.