Forum home Family life & relationships Relationships
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

Should i allow 3 yr old contact with half-sister

Hi, just looking for opinions as i'm not sure what to do. 

My husband and i have had his daughter living with us from the age of 18months until 13 years old as her mum didnt want to know. Long story short, the mum suddenly showed an interest and the 13 yr old has run off with her. We haven't seen her for 8 weeks with exception to my husband seeing her for 20 minutes 4 weeks ago. She has blocked us all on social media and by phone and is generally being a bit of a brat for want of a better word. BUT when she agreed to see my husband 4 weeks ago she asked to see our daughter (her half-sister) "next time".  I'll refer to her as my daughter and the 13 yr old as his to keep things simple now.

So my daughter is only just 3 yrs old, obviously she has lived with his 13 yr old all her life, has seen her every day of her life. Then suddenly poof she's gone. She doesn't really mention the older child at all but has been having major seperation anxiety if myself or dad leave her so its quite clearly affected her. When this "next time" eventually comes,  as the 13 yr old won't talk to us generally as i said, do i let her see her? I feel like 20 minutes once a month or even every 2 or 3 months at the rate we're going is just going to confuse her even more than she is already. My instinct is just because his daughter is being ridiculous, i shouldn't allow any more trauma for my little girl until she is old enough to understand properly. Is that harsh on the older child? 

Replies

• I totally see where You are coming from. You must both be feeling quite hurt and upset. I do agree that it could be unsettling for your little one but she also deserves to grow up knowing her sister. No one would think twice if it was a cousin she saw twice a year. Personally I would give his daughter a chance. Its lovely that even though the circumstances must be difficult she wants to see her little sister and who knows maybe it will help bring down the walls. You have nothing to loose really. Your little one is you g enough to take things in her stride especially with two loving parents