Forum home Family life & relationships Relationships
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

how to cope with boyfriend working away (and our baby son) :(

edited Aug 12, 2019 2:22PM in Relationships
Any mams got any tips on how to cope?

I hate it when he's away especially when we have our 5 month old son :( but his job is an extremely good opportunity so I couldn't be selfish and tell him that I hated him working away and to look for another job.. I just get lonely on an evening.. 

I told my mam about it, she thinks it will probably be good for us and he would appreciate things more, and that I would get used to it. 

It must be hard for mams who have boyfriends / husbands on the rigs!! I don't think I could cope.. 

When he is away it makes me look forward to work (I'm a part time receptionist 5 minute drive from home) as I have my mind occupied and focused on other things, rather than wallowing in self pity..

Replies

• Awww hun, it is so so hard when your partner works away especially with a baby. All i can advise is to fill your time. Join some baby groups and keep going out even if it is just you and baby. Evenings are hard especially with a baby but if you have friends or family local invite them round for tea. Find a book you love or a program you love to watch. Maybe try making a scrapbook of photos of your little one for daddy when he comes home. You just have to stay positive! 
  • @Sebbie1952

Thank you for the advice! He is back Friday night I'm really looking forward to it, I have work to keep my mind occupied the rest of this week :) we used to live out the way of family at one point and he was working away, I hated it. This time around we are closer to home and I have family on my doorstep so I am much happier. It was my 23rd yesterday we are going for a nice meal Saturday at least I have something to look forward to x
  • Thats great you have family! You are doing great! You can always pm me if you are lonely