Forum home Family life & relationships Relationships
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

Am i wrong to stop my in laws seeing my daughter?

edited Aug 15, 2019 4:14PM in Relationships
Please can someone tell me if I'm wrong to stop my in laws seeing my little girl?

A little background info, my husbands parents never really bothered with him before we got married and had our daughter. They are split up and his mum has a new family and a 3 year old son. They wouldn't invite him to any family events, he spend christmas on his own one year because he had no where to go. There was a family upset and since he has been pushed out the family, we were meant to go to his mum's for new year and they cancelled and went to see family instead and then proceded to send my oh photos of all the family together and it really upset him.

Since my little girl has been born they've expected us to drive 3 to 4 hrs to see them cause appartently I don't welcome them into my home - when they last tried to visit I had just been discharged from hospital after having an operation on my breast due to complications from breastfeeding. But they also haven't bothered with my daughter for this reason and whenever my husband sends photos or updates they don't reply.

Recently, I've been really busy looking after myself and my little one and my mil messaged me and I am yet to reply (I forget to reply to my friends most of the time). My oh had asked me to reply to one of his friends messages for him and when I unlocked his phone it was open on messages from my mil slagging me off for not replying to her and other reasons, every few days with an update saying that I haven't replied but I've been on whatsapp (just an fyi I never go on his phone unless asked).

I personally don't like my in laws due to what they did in my husbands past, the way they are currently using my daughter to sort their problems and the fact my mil posted photos of my daughter on social media when we had requested people not to and she told my oh to ring the midwifes and report me cause I kicked off about it, these aren't the only reasons there's just a lot to list.

But am I wrong to not want my daughter around them?

I understand that at the end of the day it's my decision as I am her mother, but my oh is making me feel like I'm keeping her from them for no reason - I have explained to him my reasons why.

Thank you and sorry for such a long post x