Forum home Toddlers & older children Schoolchildren
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

explaining death to a 4 year old?

Any advice on explaining death to a 4 1/2 year old? My gran died on new years eve and it was very sudden and unexpected. we are going out there tomorrow to visit my grandad and also my aunts who are staying with him at the moment.

we have mentioned death and dying before but not really in a way that he understands completely. when my mums mum died earlier in the year she had been poorly for a while and he hadn't seen her for sometime. he knew she was poorly and we told her that she'd died but he hasn't missed her or been upset, although he still remembers going to visit her and will mention her if we got that way on the road.

when i told him we were going to see grandad tomorrow and great aunt julie he shouted yay we're going to GGs. I was really upset and didn't know what to say so I just said she wouldn't be there tomorrow. I didn't want to start having a conversation about death and dying just before bedtime because I think he has some understanding about it being very sad but I didn't want him getting anxious or having bad dreams.

I will have to mention it before we go as I don't really want him bursting in and saying where's GG?
so any advice welcome - thanks.

Replies

• Aaaah, Julesy I'm sorry for your loss. We are lucky in that we have not lost any family beloved to the children yet, but we did lose my Grandma 3 years ago when my son was 4. He knew my gran, but not well enough to be too upset.

This is a personal thing, but when explaining death to young children I like to say that they have gone to Heaven. I explained to him that Gran was very old, and when people are old they sometimes die and go up to Heaven in the sky. We also showed him a star and told him that G was up there looking down on us all.

I would say it would probably be a good thing to try explaining to him before you visit, to try and avoid any upsets there. I think 4 is a little young to really understand death - but as you say he may just get upset by her not being there.

It's not comparable obviously, but when our cat died a few years ago we had to take him to the vets to be put to sleep. I explained that he had died and I was very upset - A few weeks later we actually walked past the vet and ds1 said, oh that's where Pud is, can't we go and get him? So maybe they just understand the practicalities of people 'not being there anymore' at this age, not actually death itself.

Its so difficult -Hope this helps a bit.

Mxx
  • THanks Mims - I did read this this morning before I left but I didn't have time to reply. Thanks for the advice. I did mention pretty much what you said and he seemed to take it in. He didn't ask for her while we were there so that was something but I think it was all a bit much for my grandad as they got a bit over excited and were, as children can be, noisy. my aunts said not to worry but i felt awful for my grandad. we didn't stay that long in the end.
  • best advice i can offer is to answer all questions truthfully but as simply as possible. also when sked about where they are now etc i ofter answer with 'i dont know' or 'nobody really knows but some people beleive that ...'
    they seem to just accept that.
    really sorry for your loss, hope your all ok x