Forum home Toddlers & older children Schoolchildren
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

4yr old hair puller

hi my dr says i should shave my sons hair as he has started to twiidle at it n pulls big clumps out when he's anxious n to b honest im heart broken sounds silly but id like to keep that little boy look they have he's growing up so fast already without a skin head!!! some kids look v cute with that haircut but i really love it the way it is or was b4 he started to pull it out! i know it sounds stupiud n there are mums dealing with children who are really ill n loosing there hair so im sorry if ur reading this thinking my god why is she winging on like this xxxxxxx

Replies

• hi lollyhatch, sorry to hear about your lil boys hair pulling but your dr has a good reason for wanting you to shave it. there is a psychological condition whereby sufferers compulsively pull out hair when feeling anxious or nervous or not in control of their feelings. i think what your dr is trying to do is break his habit by removing the hair before it ends up out of control. if he is showing early signs of this condition it could potentially get a lot worse so the habit he is in need to be broken now. i can understand how it upsets you to have to shave it but by doing it now, hopefully he will break the habit and then grow his hair back when he has found other ways to handle anxiety. if you do shave his hair, watch his eyebrows/eyelashes cos some sufferers will start pulling those out.
    As your son is still quite young, im sure that he will get over this behaviour but i cn see exactly why your dr has recommended this drastic seeming action.
    I really hope that things work out, i dont think you are winging on jst maybe your dr didn't explain properly?
    Good luck
    Claudia xxxx
  • thanks for ur reply, charlie has always twiddled his hair for comfort but the last few months its gotten really bad i dont want to shave it as he will have a huge bald patch but its got to be done xxxx
  • glad i can be of some help and i really hope all works out for you and your lil boy. my advice is to go back to dr if shaving his hair doesn't seem to help, if he becomes distressed by it or if he starts puling at his eyelashes or eyebrows xxxx