Forum home Toddlers & older children Schoolchildren
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

bday ideas for 5yr old??

Well my not so little man is going to be FIVE years old in two weeks and I can't decide what to do for his birthday!!
My ideas so far are, cinema with a couple of his school friends, bowling with a few friends or a small party/gathering at mine. It's in the half term but I can't afford to spend too much, I'm thinking the party at home may cost more than the other options by the time I've bought all the food, balloons, game prizes etc
Has anyone got any other ideas??

Replies

• Ah bless, five!
    My big boy was 6 three weeks ago and we held his party at a Brewers Fayre Family Pub, in the Fun factory. It was ??4.95 per head including invitations, lovely food, ice cream, party bags, playing in the soft play area, pass the parcel game, and cake if more than 8 kids, oh and thank you cards! Other soft play areas charge at least ??7 for no extra frills (more like ??8/9 for what we got!) so it was a bargain and so much cheaper than having a do at home (needless to say no cleaning up before or after!). No minimum on amount of kids either!
    All the kids enjoyed it and the adults could have a drink/food paid for by themselves, not us!
    Hope you have something simialr to consider as it was just the ticket! Have a lovely day no matter what you do x
  • How about a pizza party? you could invite a few friends round and they can play at making the pizzas and then eat it for their party tea??? saves money as food is the game????
  • Hi - having tried both the at-home option and the going-somewhere option, I have to say it is so much easier if you can go somewhere. My daughter had her birthday party at home this year, and despite having loads of help I did find myself in the kitchen for most of it and barely seeing any of the party. Compared with the previous year when we went to a local pub that had a soft-play area, I have to say I would much rather go down that route again. Price wise, we paid I think around ??8 a head including invites and party bags (but not including a cake), and I think we probably paid not far off that for the at-home version. Maybe around ??6-7, I'm not sure.

Its not necessarily down to the cost alone: I would say that the previous birthday was so much more relaxed, and I had a chance to get some excellent shots of the party on the camcorder too!

Oh, and if you're looking for an extra fun present, I've found a great website: www.photofairytales.co.uk which creates fun fantasy pictures from your photo. I had one done of my daughter which we've framed and put in her room - she was turned into a fairy, but there are lots of other themes more suitable for boys too.

Basically though, I would say don't just consider the cost - think about the work for yourself too, and the fact that you really want to be a part of the party and see what's going on!

Hope that helps x