Forum home Toddlers & older children Schoolchildren
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

a questions about lo's eyes

My 4 year old daughter doesn't appear to have any vision problems in that she seems to see everything. However recently she squints and blinks repeatedly in little spurts. Also in the last couple weeks when she tries to look me in the eye or focus on a specific thing her eyes roll back in her head over and over and she has to look away to stop this. Has anyone had any of this happen? I spoke to HV she pointed to a page and my daughter could tell her everything she pointed to and told me she's fine. I have this funny feeling it really isn't. Any advice or suggestions would be welcomed. I think I'll make an appointment with the doctor any how.

Replies

• Options
    does your daughter get an eye test at 3 1/2, I know not all areas do but ours does and Alice has just had hers, If not then you could take her to any optitions, they will do an eye test specifically for a child where she just needs to match pictures and letters rather than know the alphabet, they will also take a picture of the back of her eye which will let you know if there are any problems.
  • Options
    go to gp ask to be referred to opthalmist n optician, just in case. eye checks r so important xxxxx
  • Options
    I just thought I'd update everyone. I took my daughter in to the doctor's and after being assessed for nearly every possible eye and ear problem she is being sent for eeg and mri scans. They think it is one of three things. Either she is having petit mal seizures, she's having small strokes, or less likely I am told she may have benign paroxsymal tonic upgaze. I've just spent nearly a half hour with the consultant and a neurologist and feel really confused. I didn't feel really worried when she first did this eye roll thing and so I thought I was just checking it out to be on the safe side. Now I feel terrible if something is so wrong with her how come I don't feel it. I thought if something were really wrong with my children that whole mother's instinct thing would kick in. I look at her and I just wish we didn't have to wait weeks to have these test just to find out what is wrong. Sorry to rant.

Thank you for listening.

xx
  • Options
    hi hun dont doubt ur instincts uve had alot of information forced onto you in a short space of time, never easy! the wait is gonna be tough and im sure ur gonna have lots of days where u think its all rubbish n ur waisting their time n other days when ur onna be panicing urself silly. remember theres people on here to chat to n just get ur feelings out there. i hope u get some answers soon take care lolly xxxxxxxxxxx
  • Options
    Of course you're on track with your instinct! Didn't you say you had a funny feeling something was wrong even though your hv didn't think so...? Let's hope and pray it's nothing major, but at lease you've caught it and not ignored it... It's a lesson for all of us to follow our instincts despite reassurances from our hv's. Please do keep us posted and stay strong..
  • Options
    Of course you're on track with your instinct! Didn't you say you had a funny feeling something was wrong even though your hv didn't think so...? Let's hope and pray it's nothing major, but at lease you've caught it and not ignored it... It's a lesson for all of us to follow our instincts despite reassurances from our hv's. Please do keep us posted and stay strong..