Forum home Toddlers & older children Schoolchildren

temper tantrums

my 4 year old daughter is driving me mad she is acting like a spoilt little brat all the time throwing temper tantrums and screaming at everything! she is so cheeky to everyone and im actually a little embarrassed by her, ever since her sister was born in october she has been unbearable!!! anyone have any advice on how to calm her down and start acting like a normal human being????

Replies

• hi,

I have a few suggestions but as with all familys its what works best for you.

Have you tried a sticker/reward chart for her good, quiet, calm behavour? Just let her colour a pice of paer in and then stick it on the fridge, when shes behaved even for the shortest of time let her have one sticker for her chart etc so as time goes on she may realise that good behavour warrents a sticker but the bad temper/cheakyness gets ignored.,

Or time out, when she starts acting up put her on a mat/a place where she cannot hurt herself and explain to her why she is on the mat and has to stay there for 1 minute of every year of her life(4 mins) Even if she gets up or fights you just put her straight back with no arguments. A kitchen timer works wonders to keep them on the mat until the bell rings! If you give in she will get worse so if you decide to try time out then get the whole family/carers to stick with it and back you no matter how hard it seems at the time. Always make her appologise for her behavoiur before you let her off the mat, dont just call her, go to her and explain again why she was put there and ask for a hug and a sorry. It works for my 4 yr old daughter and my eldest two now know they have to do time out too if they have a"moment"

I wonder if your DD needs a little grown up time? maybe to do something just you and her, ie paint her nails or bake cookies?? just to get a little quality time? I make a point of each of my three getting a mummy half hour at the weekend where I take one child at a time to do my normal everday things ie out with the dog, to the shops or just for a wonder round. They love it and I have come to appreciate each of them and the short time we get to enjoy each others company. It is hard a s hubby works long hours but we try and get things done as a team so my three get the time they need to keep the green eyed monsters at bay!!

Hope things improve, I will say though that it probably is just a "phase" and if you are consistant with the reaction she gets towards the tantrums you will find they get shorter and shorter!!

Hope this helps some xxx