Forum home Toddlers & older children Schoolchildren

school holidays/6 wks hoildays

my son is still a baby but this question bugs me! i am not returning to work till he is at school, however i wonder how owith work you guys all manage school terms if you dont have family to look after your kids? until they are old enough to look after there self.

Replies

• My son's school have a holiday club that runs for the first 4 weeks of the holiday, so last year (his first summer hols since starting school) i took the last two weeks as annual holiday and put him in the holiday club the first four weeks, it wasn't too bad as I only work 20 hrs a week, usually spread over 5 days so I can work during school hours, but as the holiday club runs from 8-6 I was able to condense my hours into 3 days and my boss was great about it. I will do the same this year whilte my younger son is still at nursery but will run into problems next year as he will be at school too and the daily cost of both of them going to holiday club is more than my day's wage!!!
    Anyway, sorry for all the babbling but I believe a lot of schools now offer this, as well as a breakfast club and an after school club if you need it
  • was it alot per day?
  • I am looking at changing careers to become a child minder which i am so excited about!! anyway we have been lucky that we have had family to help out but this year wont be the same as my mum is still too unwell (from advanced breast cancer) to help as much as she would love to and i dont want to burdon in laws. anyway DD1 school also have an out of school hours club which we will have to use and hubby is taking every monday and friday off in the 6 weeks holiday so it will only be 3 days to find child care for if i dont do the child minding (or if that starts after the holidays)
  • Our school has a holiday club too, it costs ??12 per day and goes from 8-6. Even though I will still be on maternity leave for the summer hols I will still send dd1 for 1 or 2 days a week as she enjoys going and it will mean that I won't have to try and entertain her everyday.
  • thats not to bad