Forum home Toddlers & older children Schoolchildren

Nearly 4 and still not totally toilet trained - help

HELP HELP HELP

My daughter will be 4 at Christmas, she is more than capable of going to the toilet and pulling her clothes up and down to go for a wee/poo, however........

Every day she wets herself and I have to change her clothes, some days much worse than others, I guess sometime she ust gets distracted and would rather play than actually go to the toilet so I guess you would say she is lazy?! But the worst thing is...........

This morning I saw her run to the toilet and knew she was going for a poo but I could smell something in the playroom d/stairs and she had only pooed on the floor and then run to the toilet!!!

The majority if the time she will poo a little in her knickers and then run to the loo or sometimes just sit in it until I notice a smell and take her to the toilet.

I feel like I am constantly on her case and at times it is very hard not to get cross.

What can I do?

Anyone else had the same problem?

She is also the middle of 3 children!

Leila x

Replies

• My lil boy will be 4 in Feb and still wont go for a poo on the toilet. He wee's at the toilet and has for a long time. We were told he wouldn't be accepted into school nursery unless he was completely clean so I worried like mad and went to see HV who refered me to a Nursery Nurse who gave lots of ideas that I'd already tried so she refered me to a phycologist. Long of it is she tried to get out of my lo why he wouldnt' poo at the toilet (will his nappy or used to do in his pants and same as your lil girl would jsut sit in it til i noticed it!) anyway he said there was a monster down there and that's why he wouldn't go. she advised me to try keep very calm as getting cross with him could be making him worse and get him to tell me when he wanted a poo and he could poo in his nappy but on the understanding that he stood in the toilet/bathroom. She also said that he had to clean himself as while ever I was doing it for him he wont do it himself. Took time and plenty of tantrums from him but he does all this himself now. Just waiting for him to actually sit on the toilet now!!!! My advise is pop down n see you HV she may be able to help or even refer you on. Hope this helps and believe me you certainly aren't alone on this one, you would be amazed at the amount of children are in the same position as ours!!! xxx
  • Finally I think she has cracked it - yippeeeeeee.

All of a sudden she is having no accidents and taking herself off to the toilet without me asking all the time.

I still put a potty in her bedroom at night time just in case and every morning she has obviously got up in the night and had a widdle.

Bless her I am so proud, we thought we would never get there.
  • That's brilliant!!! Think we are nearly there with my lo, he's just started going for a poo in the toilet tho I have to catch him and pop him on otherwise he still goes in his pants! But it's a start and really proud of him!! Honestly thought I was doing something wrong and that he'd be in nappys til high school!!!lol Still pop nappy on on a night but have told him the nappy fairy brings and puts it on him when he's asleep. Have told him the nappy fairy was so proud of him that she thought he didn't need nappys to have a poo in anymore and he sort of believed that!lol bless! So happy your lil one getting there also!x