Forum home Toddlers & older children Schoolchildren
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

destructive 4 year old!!

Hi has anyone experienced this?my son has started breaking his toys,drawing on his clothes(not the ones hes wearing) and even pulled off his teddys head!sounds awful i know but he????s such a good boy the rest of the time. he does it at night or when he????s playing in his room so sometimes i dont notice until days later. He said he drew on his clothes as he couldnt find any paper,and pulled off the remote cord from his toy dragon because he wanted some string and it was the closest thing he could find!!very intelligent answers but it continues to happen!he even drew on the slats under his bed!we use the naughty step and he knows he????s wrong,is this just a phase?

Replies

• hi i expect it is just a phase but i saw on the telly the other day that taking away toys when children do something naughty seems to have a greater impact than 2 mins of time out. i mean using time out or naughty step is a very good method of punishment when children are rude ect but its not effective if you dont find stuff for days later coz children need to know what they are being punished for has been done recently. on the telly it draw up a board and if the children were fighting or destructive then they had something taken away,like a fav toy or they werent allowed to play outside or with computer ect. and they had to clean up what mess they had made/thing they had broken.
    its just an idea. the boy on the telly was 5 years old so about same age as your son so like you said probably a phase.
    hope you are ok and not pulling your hair out too much xx
  • Thank you for your advice,I will try it out next time if there is one!
    I think it could be party attention seeking as I had another baby earlier this year and I was happily surprised how he took to being a big brother,but maybe the jealousy is starting to creep up slowly now his sister is slightly older and getting a mind of her own!x x