Forum home Toddlers & older children Schoolchildren
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

stopping nappies at night?

hi i hav 4 boys aged 17 mnts,5,8 and 9 . And my 5 year old is still in nappies at night and im really worried coz my others were out of them by 3 i know all kids r diffrent but he is wet though every morning and ive limted his drinks but nothing seems 2 help!! wot do u think?
luv clare.x

Replies

• Have you mentioned this to a hv or gp? Just to check for an infection or perhaps diabetes?? I don't know enough on the topic other than it makes you wee more...perhaps it would be best to get him checked out soonish. Hope you sort it soon and that it's just a matter of time for him.
  • does your little boy ask for a nappy at night? or do you normally just put one on him? have you asked him if he would like to wear pants to bed like his brothers? i wouldnt worry too much as like you say all children are different. my cousin didnt come out of nappies at night until she was nearly 6 either and then something just clicked.
    we have found that, like you do, no drinks after dinner (glass of milk after dinner and thats it) wee before bed then we wake our LO when we go to bed about 10pm for a wee (like a dream feed when they are babys when you give them a small amount of milk but put LO on toilet and get her to have a wee instead!)
    sorry if you have already tried this but its all i can think of at the mo. good luck, i know how stressful it can be
    oh my friend said she got her son one of those childrens toilets (but its a potty really, fisher price do it i think) and he has it by his bed so he can use it if he wants in the night.
    let us know how you get on xx
  • a large percentage of children still wet the bed up to the age of 12
    but by this age i would try speaking to your health visitor or gp,