Forum home Toddlers & older children Schoolchildren
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

he doesnt listen to me ...

iv tried everything from the super nanny methods to screaming till im blue in the face but my lad wont listen , hes 6 years old and doesnt understand the word no , he wont share and is always picking on his brother wen me or dad aint looking, sum ppl say he might have ADHD but apparantly its to soon to notice, hes behaved this way since approx 18 months old im expecting my 3rd child now which im happy about and know my eldest will be great with her but i need him to listen to me , iv tried taking things of him but nothing works with him .... HELP ME

Replies

• Options
    Hey,
    It's a really tough thing to go through. My boy is 4 and went through a wee spell of not listening to me. We've always done reward charts/naughty step etc but at one point he didn't care that he went on naughty step for a few minutes. The only thing that worked was upping the consequences of not listening/being bad tempered/deliberately naughty. We would have an aim for the weekend like going somewhere and doing something fun and if he didn't get his stars for the week, it wouldn't happen. As much as it killed us not to do the' fun something' with him, it really worked because we explained why we weren't doing it. He soon got bored of being bad and realised being good was far better and more fun. So key is to make it known that being good is rewarded with good and most importantly, follow through with your punishments. It's not true that ADHD can't be spotted by now though i'm sure? THese things tend to get recognised fairly early on. It worth getting an opinion from a professional?
  • Options
    It is true about ADHD, they can't diagnose until the child is 7yrs old. I have afamily history and was told by phycologist that they can't do it until this age and then they have to monitor the child in school environment home enviro etc. Having lots of problems with my lo at min, he 4 in feb and his behaviour is from one extream to the other. One min so so lovely the flip of a coin and he's the naughtest child I've known and I don't know what to do with him. He started nursery school in sept and they've just asked if they should refer him to early years see what can be done. Feel like i've failed my son in some way and just want my lovely lil boy back. He also has a problem with listening to me also!!!! Have tried patiently talking to him to shouting and don't get anywhere either way!! Have a naughty spot and reward chart. Screams on the naughty spot like he's afraid of it but couldn't care less about reward chart! Any advise welcome please!!!