Forum home Toddlers & older children Schoolchildren

umbilical hernia

im posting this on here coz im hoping if any of your kids had this it is now cleared up. my lo is 19months old and since birth has had a very sticky out bellybutton. i have asked (docs and hv) a number of times about it and was always just told it fine its just an outie. it protrouds quite badly, anyway the other day i saw a new doctor about something else as soon as i lifted her vest she said oh she has an umbilical hernia. she tells me coz of where it is and because it is quite soft it will go away in time. my question to you is did any of your kids have one of these and how long did it take to go.

thank you.xx:\?

Replies

• yes my daughter had this. it used to stick out even more and go purple when she used to cry but it didnt cause her any pain or discommfort. it think she was about 2 1/2 or 3 when it compleatly went away but was told that it can some times take about 5 years to clear up. the reason for this is coz childrens tummy muscles dont proprly knit togther until the age of 3- 5 years. i not that it doesnt look nice but so long as your lo is not in pain and is eatting well then its nothing to worry about and should sort it self out. hope ive helped to reasure you abit .x.
  • you have very much. thank you. my fil has always been adamant that it wasnt right but as i said when ever i asked was alway told it was just an outie. it doesnt coz her pain. she has found it recently and keeps asking "whats this". just got to stop her form pulling it .lol.

i was a bit shocked when this new doctor pointed it out so quickly but in a way im glad that there is a reason for it. i was always concerned that she would have it when older and it affect her confidence. glad to know that over time it will go away. thank you again.xxx
  • I just thought I'd say that I have an umbilical hernia. It healed up when I was a baby but over the course of my life, 24 years I have torn it open again a few times. This last time I tore it will heavily pregnant and lifting something heavy. It heals up again on it's own. I know it's not the most positive news you might like. It doesn't really hurt but I'd give the advice to tell your lo's to be careful when moving house, and not to take on careers which are especially hard involving heavy lifting just because mine at least is slightly weaker than if I had never had it before.

xx
  • Hi, my lo does not have a protruding belly, but it's dark in colour. I don't want to try cleaning it but it's odd coz it's black-ish in colour... doc has never commented. Anyone know anything about this?
  • my baby developed one at 4 weeks. it too bulged and went purple when she cried. she is now 20 weeks and it has almost gone.

d xxx