Forum home Toddlers & older children Schoolchildren
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

angry 5 yr old - pls help!

Hi everyone
Looking for any ideas and advice really to help me get my 5 yr old daughter get through a stage of what i can only describe as "rage"!
She just turned 5, has been at school since sept (which she loves and is good as gold for her teachers) and i am currently 33 weeks preg with 2nd child. She has always been headstrong and knows her own mind, but recently she seems to have trouble controlling and managing her temper. she decides that she is going to do something she shouldn't do or doesn't want to do things that she is asked to do, and often then gets extremely angry. she lashes out at me (usually at my bump), kicking and punching, she attacks our cat, throws her toys and my things (she grabs ornaments and throws them at me) and if i put her in her room for time-out, she literally trashes her room. She will go on like that for over an hour at a time and tbh i am at the end of my tether with her. I never smack and shouting doesn't work, she doesn't respond to calm explanations so i don't know how to calm her before it gets out of hand. I am struggling to deal with her as i cant lift her or run around after her.
I am fed up of tidying up all the broken things that she has thrown around and lately this is happening twice a day, with bedtime being the biggest problem. I was so desparate the other day i bundled her in my car and took her to my parents for them to try and talk some sense into her.
Has anyone else experienced this problem with their kids? Any ideas of how i can prevent her from getting so angry, and more importantly how i can manage her anger with my bump and without getting hurt!?! Should i take her to the doctors to see if we need professional help? She is a clever decisive lil girl who is lovely to other people but at the moment i cnt control her....help!!!
Thanx
Claudia (mum to 5 yr old and 33 wks pregnant)

Replies

• it sounds like she is taking advantage because there isn't much you can do! you need to make sure there are consequences for her actions. i use the naught step for my ds, he can't come off til he is calm and sits quietly for 4 mins (he's 4). don't know if you've used it before but might be an idea. also maybe a reward chart for GOOD behaviour and a treat at the end of the day/week for no tantrums?
    good luck, hope you get sorted before l/o arrives! xx.
  • Awww hun, I sympathise with you. It sounds like one of 2 things really.....she's either has an extreme dislike to the fact there's another on the way, now getting closer so more real.......or she has a problem at school that she can't deal with and perhaps can't find the words to explain it. A friend of mines daughter was extremely bright and loved school ect but had real trouble in expressing herself in any way and it did cause a lot of issues and problems for a while. They did talk to their gp, who referred them to a counsellor - she visited them at their own home to help make it not anymore stressful than necessary. I'm not sure what else to suggest but I think u r gonna have to get help of some sort b4 u or she gets hurt accidently.

Wish u luck hun xx
  • thanks for your replies - appreciate the advice!!!
    I have tried naughty steps and time-out in the corner etc and she just shouts and runs away - she knows that i can't lift her back onto the step so she won't stay. it used to work but not anymore! we made a reward chart a couple of months ago with a cat that goes up and down according to whether she is good or bad. again, it worked at first but now she doesn't care if she loses out on treats. I have also spoken to her teacher who says that she behaves really well at school, never gets cross and copes well with routine etc and is fine if told off.
    I have spoken to a friend who works in childcare who suggested that although she is bright, she is perhaps not developing as quickly emotionally and needs some guidance to handle her feelings, particularly her anger. So we have sat down and spoken to her about how she feels about things, why she gets angry and how that impacts me and my hubby. it was nice and she was honest about how she feels, saying that she sometimes feels grumpy and like she wants us to help her feel happy. So we talked to her about how we can help her feel happy and have changed some of the routines (like bedtime etc). I'm really hoping that by talking to her everyday about her feelings and how we can all make each other happy instead of cross or grumpy, things might calm down. She did start getting angry today but instead of panicking, i asked her to count to ten with me and got her to tell me how she was feeling and it worked! She calmed right down and we talked and cuddled instead.
    I am really worried about how she will react when this baby comes along and i think i will definitely talk to the gp if her behaviour becomes difficult again but so far, she seems a bit calmer already. fingers crossed the worst is over!
    Thanks again for your replies
    xxxxx
  • My daughter went through a phase of this. I got a great tip from the supernanny which worked well.

If for example you are trying to get her to go in the car and she doesn't want to just stop what you are doing, bend down to her level and say to her calmly you can either come in the car with me to ........... or you can just stand there on your own.

It worked with Lily.

I do smack my kids as I honestly sometimes feel that they leave little other option and it works tbh. I won't start a smacking debate coz everyone is different.
  • aww it's good that you've managed to get through to her that your there to help her and she can talk about how she's feeling with you... i hope it stays that way and she's able to feel more in control of the situation and herself.
  • I had this problem with my son a few years ago. We decided he needed a consequense to his actions. I removed everything from his room - all toys, t.v etc. He only had his bed. We had a chat with him on the sunday night and told him that the next time he was naughty he would go straight to bed from school, come down for his dinner and then off to bed again. But if he went the whole week being good he could have some of his toys back. It sounds really cruel. but we were at out wits end with him.
    On the monday he came home from school and hit me and spat at me - I took him straight up to his room. He screamed for 2 hours solid - that hurt more than what he did. But I stuck to what we told him. I kept explaining why I was doing it. 3 days later he was so much calmer and it only took him 2 weeks to get everything back in his room. Won't work for everyone - I think what I am tryin to say is find the thing that pushes her buttons as she has found yours and stick to it. - Good Luck
  • just to update - been talking to her about her feelings this week and asking her to count to ten with me when she shows signs of getting angry. it all seems to be working well at the moment and she has been much happier, sleeping better and everyone is so much calmer. she loves to show me her big happy smiley face and i show her my biggest smiliest face and she seems to genuinely respond well to the idea that when she is happy, so are other people. She is being much more affectionate and cooperative. Am hoping that things stay this way fingers crossed and i definitely feel a lot more in control of her behaviour instead of almost scared that if i say the wrong things, she will get angry and hurt me!
    Thanks ladies for all your tips and help - definitely got some new ideas to try if i need any extra help!!!
  • So plz'd things seem to be going well for u at the moment hun!! Hope it stays that way image

Good luck with the rest of ur pregnancy too hun xx
  • thanks mummyx5, so far things still going well with the plan and when she starts to get angry, we count ten kittens together and she totally forgets why she was angry in the first place! Genius!!!!