Forum home Toddlers & older children Schoolchildren

grommets help!

hi my son has had reccurrent ear infections since birth sometimes they last a full month even on steroid drops and a two antibiotics! he had grommets fitted last year n had a bad reaction to the anisthetic i cant stress enough if ur child has croup u must tell surgeon before op i didnt know n nearly lost my lovely boy. now a year on my boy still has the infections grommets have done nothing he's in agony all the time n my hospital wont do anything they are leaving his grommets in even tho they arent in the right position to do any thing n the audiologist says they need to come out but the registra says he has to wait until december to get them replaced n i wanna say no! it hasnt helped he nearly died having the op what do i do! i know he needs something but im just not convinced grommets r the way any advice please xxxxx

Replies

• hi i had grommets 8x as a child ( i suffured from glue ear) and though they did help at the time. i am one of the very few who the glue ear problem just kept comming back. so now coz of having the op 8x my ear drums are badly sared and thr dr has told me that there is no more they can do. i too used to get ear infections all the time.
    and like you my mum had to keep fighting with the doctors to get anything done. so all i can surjest is to keep fighting your sons corner or maybe see if a doctor at another hospatal is more willing to help. im so sorry that you and your son is having to go through the same thing as me and my mum went through. sorry i can offer any more advice xxxx.