Forum home Toddlers & older children Schoolchildren
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

Telling lies

My son is 6 and has recently started telling lots of silly lies, he knows the difference between the truth and a lie and he understands that it is wrong to lie but still does it. The problem is when he tells a lie and I know by his face that this is what hes doing he still won't admit to it.
It doesn't help that my dad tells him things which are untrue at times and I have explained to my son that sometimes adults do things they shouldn't but this doesn't make it right. I have spoken to my dad about this but I may as well talk to the wall.

I really don't know how to deal with his lies- he even told me yesterday that daddy shouts at the baby when I am out which I have absolutely no doubt is a lie but what if he told things like this to a teacher or something.

He is constantly telling tales about Lily did this Lily did that same with kids at school and I am trying to explain to him that adults get fed up listening to silly stories that don't really matter but it doesn't change anything.
He constantly takes stories about me and his step dad to my parents (who believe every word he says no matter how ridiculous) and tells me stories about my oh its like he wants to cause trouble and I don't understand why.
I met my oh when Brandon was 10 mths old and he knows that he has another daddy that doesn't see his and he is happy with this- he knows that if he asks he can see him.
Sorry for the long post but I don't have a clue what to do.

Replies

• Hi hun

I have a very similar situation. My daughter is 6 and has the nasty habit of telling porkys! Her father and I are divorce and we live together with her "other" daddy my now partner who has been in her life since she was 3 years old and she's very happy.

I have the same problem that she goes off to everyone telling lies and everyone believes her! She conviences people that she has a baby sister she has a whole tale about it that she'll quite happily tell teachers and also complete strangers!

She also told lies to my ex husband about me which is frustating because people believe her. I sought help from the teachers in school explaining the situation. I sat her down and explained that it's wrong to lie and sometimes grown ups do tell lies which doesn't make it ok for her to do it, end of story. I also went through the story of the boy who cried wolf and related it to her so she completely understood the moral. When again she carried on lying, whatever she said I simply explained to her that I was sorry but she had told me so many lies that I can't believe anything she says anymore. She got upset, I carried it on for about half an hour before I finally explained. Now do you understand why you don't tell lies?

It did work. She still tells the odd porker but is now generally better and comes clean when I ask "really?"

Sorry it's long winded but I really hope it helps. Let me know how you get on.

Dawn
    xx
  • Thank you for your reply- I may just try that!!
  • Didn't professor Winston do a programme about children lying. I think the children were a little bit younger but he did conclude that all children lie even when it is blatantly obvious to us that they're lying and they still continue to lie. I don't have any answers though!!! Just thought it was an interesting programme and I wish I could remember more to h elp you
  • sorry i can't be much help on this as not had this problem with my daughter (yet!!!) but just thought i would say that the BBC website is good for info on all this stuff and i often look on there for some advice.
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/parenting/your_kids/primary_index.shtml
    definitely worth a look and there is some stuff about how to deal with lies on there.
    Good luck!