Forum home Toddlers & older children Schoolchildren
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

need advice.. please help...

hello im a newbie on here... so first of all ill introduce myself my name is natasha and have a three year old daughter just turned...shes brill i love her to bits.. but have a problem she isnt at play group yet she starts after xmas,, she loves dancing so i got her into dance school last week, but ive gone to pick her up today and theyve said she was very disruptive and has not listened to instructions, and has smacked some children and a teacher, and to bring her back when shes older... which is very hurtfull because she was loving going there and im also now thinking where have i gone wrong how do i resolve it...i mean she has been very disruptive over this last week or two at home ie not listening callin names..etc..i cant think what has triggered it off she just wont listen im not getting very far with dissaplining her cos she just throws it back in my face im just really stuck.. im worried about her starting play group now..what if she gets dissmissed from there my head is just a mess im really really stuck..

Replies

• Hello Natasha

I use to help run a creche and worked as a childminder. I am very shocked that the dance staff were so frank with you so early on about your daughter. Not very constructive it may seem. Maybe they should have more understanding of small children, what do they expect at that tender age? I completely understand how that hurt your feelings.

In my experience, your daughter is at an age where she is learning so much and her behaviour sounds very normal to me. Sure, she is testing the water... and Mummy(!) but I havent yet met a 3 year old that hasent. I hope this reassures you.

Little girls become very independent and they know what they want! Sounds to me she might not like the word 'no' at the moment, but she is learning.

Its hard to advise as I dont know you both, but I'd say stay calm when disiplining her, not allowing her to have any positive attention if she is being naughty. Explain to her when she has calmed down why she was displined. Naughty steps and corners I think are brilliant, but everyone has there on views on them. I never raise my voice (difficult I know) but, the more and more its done the less impact it has. A stern, not loud voice seems to have a bigger impact.

Good luck with your little bunny, she will soon grow out of this phase, you have nothing to worry about. She sounds quirky, bet she has a great little character! xx