Forum home Toddlers & older children Schoolchildren

Anyone scared?

Hi...

I'm currently in baby chat asmylittleone isonly 9 weeks old. But I am just watching a movie called kidulthood which aparrently has a sequel coming called adulthood.

I am so scared of sending my child to school seeing and hearing all the violence in the newspaper and seeing movies like these and you know about all the bullying at school. I am so scared my kid starts getting bullied at school. Is the answer private school or is it bringing up your child to be open with you. I want her to know the real worldout there and think public school is the best option. But with all these things of gangs and stuff at school? I'm so scared she either gets mixed up with the wrong croud or get bullied to a point where she would kill herself.

Maybe I'm getting ahead of myself, but I'm just so worried.Is anyone else worrying about this or am I being far too over protective.

Hope there is someone out there that might be able to put my mind at rest...

Cheers
Tashy

Replies

• I have three children and totally sympathise with you- my kids are 6,4 and 5months so I do have one at primary school.
    It is difficult to let them go at this stage because you are no longer the main influence in your childs life and you have no 'control' over what is said to them at school or how they are treated.

The way I deal with this is to talk each day about how school has been and asking questions which I feel aren't too intrusive (the last thing I want him to feel is pressured to tell me EVERYTHING), such as 'who did you play with at luch time today?' or 'did your teacher read a story?', this opens up the conversation and if my son has any worries he does discuss them.

Do encourage your child to be open with you from a young age, I teach mine that if they misbehave but be honest about it I won't be as cross as if they lie.

Whether or not you send them to public or private school is entirely up to you. Motherhood comes with so many of these situations and I find it is best to deal with them when the time comes. One thing I am glad I did was not sending my son to the local primary school- I took him to a school further away from home- my theory on this was that he wouldn't end up always asking to go to this ones house or that ones house or kids in the neighbourhood calling for him coz that leads to going so far from the house to hanging on the street corners. My sons friends all live in town so if he wants to go and play (which he has done at two friends houses) then I can get to know the childs parent at the school gate first and also a bit about the child.

I do sometimes worry that I am a bit too overprotective coz I do know that sometimes it the kids who aren't allowed as much freedom that go off the rails but I just can't allow my son to 'run the streets' coz I think thatas irresponsible
  • Hey KThom, That's great advice. I talk to my four-year-old a lot as well, but never thought of it that way... I think it's better to be overprotective than under anyday... Btw, I have a 4-year-old daughter and a 5-month-old baby boy and noticed you also have a 6-year-old - what an inspiration!
  • Wonderful advice.....I dont have any friends with babies.So many tell me I'm being overly motherly.Being silly and if I send my kid to private school I'm not giving her the true life
  • You will agree that you truly have no idea until you are a mother yourself. I see so many kids around my estate running up and down the street and was horrified to see a child of about three- I think thats asking for trouble especially as we live right beside a busy main road its crazy.

I feel soory for these kids as the parents think its acceptable to open the front door and let them run wild while they sit with their feet up- why have kids if you can't be bothered to look after them.

My kids have never played out on the street and I don't intend to change that any time soon, they have plenty of toys in the garden and they have each other for company so why would I allow them to play on roads???

A little girl from behind our house came round one day and knocked the door asking to play with my children (she had heard them out in the garden) I allowed her through and she played in my garden for about 45 mins before anyone thought to go looking for her-she was 4. While playing she asked to use our toilet which I allowed her to do- but this totally baffles me we could have been ANYBODY and that child was in our house for 45 mins. How irresponsible is that