Forum home Toddlers & older children Schoolchildren
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Is this normal behaviour?

My youngest child is nearly 3 and is due to start nursery in september but to be honest it is scaring the life out of me because of his behaviour. He is a loving little lad but he is on the go constantly, he does not seem to stay still for 2 minutes is always climbing. he is not too bad with other kids but if he wants something he will not think twice about lashing out. I keep thinking (and hoping) he will be better when he is 3 but he seems to be getting worse he is a bright little thing and has always been very active (walked at 7 months) but oh what a handful. I dont want to label him but other people have mentioned behaviour problems while others just say its normal for this age, he is the youngest of 4 and i think my first one was a bit like this but it seems such a long time ago (he is 15) i would be grateful to hear what you all think as i really dont want to be the mum that gets called into school every day to be told about her naughty child and what hes got up to

thanks

Leighx

Replies

• Options
    Hi. My son is very similar. He is into everything and climbs and shouts when he is excited and giddy about something. I too was very nervous about him starting school. He goes three at the end of August. I was worried about how he would cope with things such as register time, story time, and such activities but since he has started at the local preschool group he has settled really well. He does the routine fine and I have never been told that he has been bad and he has been there since January. Try not to listen too much to what others are telling you, every child is different and develops at different paces. The setting will observe your child, find their interests and plan appropriate activities for them to do that will encourage their development and that they will enjoy. If you have any concerns about him starting nursery speak to the people who will be looking after him, see if they will be having an open day or if you can visit before he starts. I am sure that they have seen and heard it all before and will be able to help your child get the best from nursery.
    Sorry to go on a bit but this is something that I have been concerned about myself and was just disscussing with a friend this morning. I also am a qualified nursery nurse and have been in nursery settings for over ten years now. I hope that some of this has been of use to you.
  • Options
    Thanks hun, its nice to know that im not the only one,i am taking him in today to do the paperwork so i will speak to someone then. He is a lovely little thing but he can be such hard work at times and i have been looking forward to him going to nursery but at the same time dreading it if you know what i mean
    thanks love Leigh x
  • Options
    hiya Leigh...
    nice to see you on here... how are you???
    My 4th Charlie is 3 end of Oct so he misses the school intake this year. He is the same as your son. My almost 15yr old son is dyslexic and has ADHD and is on ritalin for it. He had lots of problems at school to begin with but now is a A star student in most subjects.
    I would not worry too much. If he does have problems then the school will help out and get him assessed. Chris had a helper with him till he was about 9 and that was only because we left UK otherwise he would still be getting help now. Even though he is bright he still struggles with spelling and organisation.
    Charlie is showing the same sort of behaviour. Noisy, wild, bouncing off the walls, temper, frustration and lashing out if he does not get what he wants. All this has been compounded with a new baby coming along. He even shouts and moves around in his sleep.
    He is too young 'label'as yet but i am sure we are in for another rough ride with him. Where we live in Bahrain we have to pay for schooling and the schools interview the kids even as young as 2! They are selective and I am worried he wont get in!!!!!
    Good Luck but your not alone and please dont worry about other mums..one day their bloody perfect kids will have some problem and they will be put in their place.

d xx
  • Options
    Hiya Dee nice to hear from you and congrats on your scrummy baby she is lovely, im still ttc my no5 but i am just taking it one day at a time. I went to the nursery meeting with Alex and basically he managed to break every rule that they have!!!!!!!! No climbing on furniture and that was all he wanted to do,they have a time out chair and i can see him spending rather a lot of time on it lol Its nice to hear that i am not the only one with these kind of worries he is such a love but is so easily set off! what age do they start to recognise if its more then just toddler trouble and something more serious??? Love Leigh xx
  • Options
    hi, your childs keyworker will observe your son and monitor their development. these will be done often, about every 4 weeks and they will be recorded against the foundation stage profile. This is how the goverment assess every child in all childcare settings. If they have any concerns about your child they will use these observations to assess your childs needs. As far as inappropriate behaviour is concerned the setting will have to come up with strategies to deal with your sons behaviour. The keyworker will speak to you and find out what you do about it at home and encourage you to use the same strategies as them. A good setting will try and find as many ways as possible to give your son praise and encouragement for everything good that he does.
    When your son first starts going he is bound to try and push the boundaries that is normal. They do it with us at home all the time. Well my son does anyway lol. You may find that he was doing it when you went for the visit as a way of getting attention, when he goes and stays without you it will probably be a different story. Children always behave differently when not with their parents. I am sure that your sons behaviour is just a stage of development. I have just spoken to my sons keyworker about my concerns and I always chat to them before a session and when I pick him up to find out how he has been. I am sure he will be fine.
  • Options
    hi leigh..we are fine thanks. amelia is lovely and I know I am very lucky to have her. I cherish every minute.
    My Charlie is a little monkey too. Love him to bits but he is hard work and has got harder since Amelia came along. She is nearly 4 months and I am already broody....got sterilised though so no chance!!!!!! Also, need to concentrate on ones I have and get Charlie through this sticky patch....
    Good Luck with TTC...baby dust in oodles to you

denise xx