Forum home Toddlers & older children Schoolchildren

Question from member of baby forum...

Hi there everyone

I just wanted to ask a quick question as my baby started nursery a week ago and has been constantly poorly since starting (she is almost 9 months old) I have been told that it happens whist thier immune systems build up but for how long?
Obviously children are going to get ill when mixing with others but surely it should calm down a bit and was just wondering when this happened with ur children when they went to nursery or school? Just thought u would all be best people to ask as not a lot of the babies in forum are at nursery yet or they have family look after them.
Thanks in advance
Hannah xx

Replies

• Hmmmm - that's a toughy! I do remember ds1 being a bit poorly every now and then but i can't remember it lasting long. The most reoccuring complaint was conjunctivitis.
    Ds2 started nursery in Jan having previously been at a c/minder and touchwood, the most he's had is a cold.
    Sorry not much help but it does get better. Ds1 has been at school since Sept and he's not had a day off yet.
  • hi i have a 3 year old, who was in nursery from 10months, on and off, and what i would say is they are always ill!! my daughter has had conjunctivitis, colds, ear infections, throat infections, chicken pox....There was a break she had out of nursery between the private one she went to when i worked til she was 2, and her preschool place she is in just now at a different nursery. she was not ill once in the year that she didnt go to nursery. i suppose every child is different, but until she was 2 i was on my own with her and it felt like i was constantly off work cause she was too ill for nursery (one of the reasons im now a stay at home mum).i have to say she is not really ill much anymore, but i put this down to the fact that around this age they learn to cover their mouths if they sneeze etc where as babies cant do that.
    i also found that the nursery didnt tell me they had a chicken pox outbreak until she had it (then they were like "yes all of them have just had it"), i dont think they are allowed to tell which i can see why they wouldnt want to in a way.

anyway im sure your baby will be fine, and i just had to persevere as i wouldnt want her going to a childminder, and didnt have any family who could watch her.

i still think it is good for them to go to nursery, mixing with other kids etc, and it means they get a lot of illnesses before they start school too which i suppose is good.

http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt/d/1;19;29/st/20080523/dt/5/k/1ec5/preg.png