Forum home Toddlers & older children Schoolchildren
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Welcome to Older children

This is the first topic for Older children

Replies

• Options
    Thank you, you very nice people hehe

http://tickers.baby-gaga.com/p/dev326prs__.png

• Options
    Prbably me being thick but can i ask things bout my 5yr old here?????
  • Options
    Lol, yes Katiemumof2boys, feel free! x
  • Options

Hi, I havent posted on this page before, but i was wondering if anyone has had a similar problem to me and they can offer some advice?

My little boy will be 4 in a few weeks.  Hes been going into the same nursery since he was 11 months, but now doesnt want to go in, and its causing a lot of heartache in the mornings (Hes in monday to wednesday 8 till 6)

We had a phase of nasty behaviour from some of his 'friends' earlier in the year, and this was dealt with by the nusrery, although perhaps they could have nipped it in the bud sooner than they did. Now he is a little better at going accross when he is in his own room, but at the time i drop him off sometimes they share a room with other children and he hates going into this room.  He clings to my leg, runs away, hides behind me - all sorts, but normally hes a very happy little boy.

We have tried giving him a toy to take in, so he has something familiar to play with each morning, but thats not really doing the trick.

Any ideas gratefully recieved - i have a meeting with nursery tonight but would like to go with constructive ideas!

Am getting desperate now.image

• Options

My daughters just started doing this, 4.5 yrs old started school in sept and loved it. Then she stopped eating at school and comes home starving having eaten nothing. Now for the last week we have tears and hysterics at drop off? Not sure where this is all coming from, teachers have noticed nothing untoward and she doesn't seem bothered by anything there so I too would be interested to see if anyone has any advice! X

• Options

It could simply be a part of getting older (my DD who is 4 in Dec has just this past week decided she is now afraid of the dark...)

Transition can take time for LO to adjust - new classrooms, new teachers, new children joining, new lessons, new daily routines.....some LOs will take to the change like ducks to water whilst others will feel 'anxious' & 'unsettled' by what is happening (DD has had new children join her class in nursery this term as the next lot of government vouchers move in, it has taken this long for her to 'accept' them being there).

Things you could try include allowing something from home to go with them (a small toy in their bag), asking nursery/school if there is a particular child/group of children LO enjoys playing with & establishing a 'buddy' link (LO meets up with this child/group upon arrival, is asked to join them at break/lunchtimes....) or asking the staff if there is a particular activity LO can be certain of doing each day upon arrival (drawing/reading/jigsaws....) to provide a form of comfort & familiarity to the start of each day.  Best wishes & good luck