Forum home Toddlers & older children Schoolchildren
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

scared of the dark - really need ur help!

Im posting this here incase any of you have had children that have gone through this. I really need ur help.

My eldest - J - has started to be affraid of the dark. He sleeps in a room with his brother and I leave the landing light on which is about having the same amount of light as a nightlight. I go up and tell him its ok and give him a special teddy that will look after him but its so gut wrenching coz I hate leaving him scared - I just wanna cuddle him but I dont want to re-enforce his fears and/or get him into bad habits with his sleeping as hes always been a fantastic sleeper. Any ideas on how to reassure him brake his fear of the dark? I really need some help with this ladies.

Elaine and boys xx

Replies

• btw he is 3 yrs old xx
  • hi, didnt want to r&r, but my lo is not to keen on the dark either- shes also 3, she has glow in the dark stars stuck on the ceiling- they are all different colours during daylight but they glow up at nightime- (bought them from hawkins bazaar) she also takes a torch to bed with her. dont know of thats any help? hopefully they will grow out of it soon. xxx
  • hi, thanx for replying. He has the stars that glow in the dark stuck to his ceiling. If I gave him a torch I reakon he'll be up all night playing LOL. but I will defo give it a go. Thanku again. xx
  • i know, my lo normally falls asleep with the torch left on, on her lap- the amount of batteries we get through, lol. xxx
  • lol - bless her. I can imagine. lol

hes started being silly in the daytime. He wont go upstairs to the toilet on his own because hes scared of monsters. I hope hes gonna grow out of it soon. bless him.
  • oh no, bless. their imaginations are just so crazy sometimes. this evening me and oh spotted her in the kitchen- stood ontop of the worktop getting a bowl out the cupboard (she had already completed the task of opening the "childproof" gate to get into the kitchen) we asked her what she thought she was doing and told her to get down b4 she fell....her reply...... its ok, im spiderman and spiderman never falls or hurts himself and if he does then he never cries!!!! my god how do u reply to that??!! lol
    reguarding the monster issue- she is convinced that monsters live with us, but quite worringly she isnt scared of them at all. ha ha. im sure its jus a phase they go thru- well im hoping ne way. xxx
  • lol - oh bless her. She'd get on well with J! he thinks he is spiderman too! lol

thats great shes not scared of monsters! i wish J wasnt its heartbreaking to see him genuinly terrified of something that I know isnt even there.

whats ur LOs name? when did she turn 3? My boy is James (J) and he was 3 in october xx
  • i know its really hard to explain to them that monsters dont exsist but wen they get something into their head, u cany change their mind can u.
    i dont really know where her spiderman obsession came from- must of been the oh, lol.
    shes called Freya and was 3 in feb, so she comin up 4, cant believe where those 4 yrs have gone- shes goin to school in sept and im gonna miss her so much, i also have a 16wk old called Lolah. xxx
  • Elaine - Jules went through this last year and the year before (so from when he was 3). Nothing I did completely sorted it out, he just outgrew it in his own time and then started being silly again with the monsters upstairs etc last year. It lasted a few weeks and then wore off again. The only thing I did different was put a night light in his room and closed the door as he was a bit scared of something coming through his door as he was looking out into the hallway.

These kids, I'm sure he'll be fine soon - and then it'll be the next problem!xx
  • Didn't want to start a new thread as i'm having the same problems. My son is also 3 and has recently become scared of the dark. He asks about ghosts and monsters. I think it might have been MIL letting him watch Scooby Doo that has started it all off!!! Grrr, flaming woman!
    Me and hubby constantly tell him their not real, there's no monsters or ghosts when he asks but it makes no difference. I don't know whether or not to put a night light in his room. He would probably stay up all night playing!!!

Cat xxx
  • i found that a night light has really helped freya, i think its jus gives them that extra bit of reassurance they need, u can always give the night light a go and if ur lo plays about or finds it doesnt help then take it away again. they have such wild imaginations at this age tho dont they, so it doesnt matter what u say to them they still wont believe u, lol. xxx
  • i dont know if they do one a bit more boyish but what about something like the gloworms i found them great when i was a kid x
  • my daughter is the same she is 3 also maybe their age and becoming more aware of things, we have one of those night lights that come on at dusk and go off in the morning i tell her its her lil angel watching her and making sure she ok and this works fine for her hope you manage to sort things hun i know its distressing for mums