Forum home Toddlers & older children Schoolchildren
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

car seats

not sure if this is a question for here or toddler forum but thought mums of older kids might know. Are the child car seats guidelines supposed to be by weight or by age? My son is 15kg but won't be 4 for a while. i need to get him a new car seat as his baby brother is going to need the next stage up at some point soon. you can get them either from approx 9 months up to 11 years or from approx 4 years to 11. I'd rather just get the one that is from 4 years up and he is the right weight for that seat but I'm not sure if i have to go by age or by weight???
i've looked for information on line ion the law and all it says is the child must be restarined in the correct seat but it doesn't specify what is the correct seat!! They have a half price sale on at halfords at the moment so i guess i could ask when i go down.

Replies

• Options
    I work at Mothercare and our guideline policy is to go by the child's weight when choosing a car seat.
  • Options
    fantastic - thank you so much. i forgot mothercare do car seats as our local store is small and i've already spent the mothercare vouchers i had so thats a shame!
  • Options
    Julesy, I got new car seats with our insurance money for hubby's bike from halfords and they said as Alfie was 15kg, he's be ok to go in it once we were happy he'd not open the belt himself! Good point, as he's not even 3 till Oct. Also, when we got Charlie's, she sort of checked the lower part of the head side bits was in line with his chin near enough...then said something about why but I've forgotten!
  • Options
    would that be where the seat belt feeds through and so where it lies on the neck? which car seats did you get in the end? i've seen some gracco rally sport that are half price.
  • Options
    Hiya, they go by weight as my daughter isnt 4 till July but has been in hers since about January. They weigh them in store at halfords if you ask, it's because the childs weight plus the weight of the carseat has to be heavy enough for the seatbelt to stop it moving if you are in an accident. We got the stripey Gracco one with the drinks holder and it's great, so easy to move from car to car especially as I'm due next month with our 2nd.xxx
  • Options
    thats the ones we looking at i think and zach will be same age as when your little girl started using hers so thats really useful to know thank you!
  • Options
    My little boy is 3 1/2 and has been in the Graco seat for about 6mths but thats coz he's a big lad - was 15kg at 3yrs lol and looked way too big for the seat he had. He loves it coz he feels grown up etc, like his sisters (they use just the booster part)!
  • Options
    hi ive been trying to find this out for ages as my daughter is 3 1/2 and says her 2nd stage seat is uncomfy. i used this link its really helpful and has made me wait a bit longer until i get next stage. its www.childcarseats.org.uk hope it helps.
  • Options
    nikki - thank you very much! I have looked at this website before but only saw the bit regarding the law which says 'children between 3 and 12 mut be restrained in the appropriate child restraint' and then doesn't say what the appropriate restraint is!
    However, on another part of the website it does say that the most important factor is not age but weight and height. this means that while zach is still ok in the seat he is in for a little while he is ok to go into the next one (which is suitable from 15kg)
    i will keep him in the one he is until his brother needs it but will probably buy it now while it is on sale!
    the film about choosing the right car seat was very useful.
    thank you again, julesy