Forum home Toddlers & older children Schoolchildren

Mummy, how did the baby get in your tummy??

Hi All,

Silly question! I have a 5 year old daughter who is really looking forward to meeting her baby brother/sister. She seems quite inquisitive with the entire pregnancy and now the bodily functions of mummy. So far I have managed to avoid answering the question - how did the baby get in there? I don't know how much longer I can go before she demands an answer that will satisfy her curiosity. Does anybody have any delicate ways of explaining. My sis-in law is a teacher and says if they are asked they are supposed to tell the facts in a clinical manner. In my opinion this seems a bit too much to be telling a 5 year old.

Help please!!!

Replies

• we told my 3 year old by fairy dust lol
  • hi my 4 y/o daughter was the same. i told her that daddy gave me a magic seed. and when she asked did you eat it i said no it was put in a specal hole in my fu fu. and she was happy with that.
  • faeriestar thats funny!
    i told my 3yr old that it starts off like a seed and starts to grow inside
  • i told my kids that daddy put a seed in mummys tummy through my tummybutton!!!!!!!!!
  • my 5 yr old asked these questions and i told her that ladies have eggs, men have seeds and when a lady and man love each other, they have a special cuddle so that the seed and egg meet and turn into a baby which lives in a big bubble in mummys tummy. that did the trick, she certainly hasn't asked for any more details relating to the "special cuddle"!!!!
  • i read my little one mummy laid an egg which she thought was hysterical so i told her mummy and daddy had a special cuddle lol
  • Hi All,

Thanks for all your advice. It's one of those times when you wish kids weren't quite so inquisitive.
    I think I'll try the seed/egg, special cuddle approach if she asks again. Will let you all know if i got away with it!!
    Thanks all!!
  • good luck with it - hopefully you won't get pumped for more info on how precisely one executes a special cuddle....my 5 yr old asks regularly whether cats, dogs, mice, fleas etc have special cuddles too and whether they get baby animals in their tummys too! and she asked if she could give our male cat a special cuddle so that he can have kittens in his tummy! err...keeping a cool head and explaining things in egg/seed terms seems to keep her curiousity at bay!!!
  • Ah bless them all! Loving the stories, esp the fairy dust one! We just told my then 4 yr old that when mummies and daddies love each other they have a baby. He was satisfied so we stopped there lol. He once caught us 'loving' one another and we told him we were bed dancing!!!
  • bed dancing that is fantastic lol would have loved to seen your face whilst telling him lol
  • I am ttc at moment via diy donor artificial insemination and my lo is 3 1/2. As she keeps asking where she was when I was young I have explained that girls are born with lots of eggs and when you are a grown up one might become a baby . I have been wondering how to explain if I manage to concieve but after reading your posts I think I wiil tell her that I bought some seeds and planted them to meet my egg-we've been planting seeds in the garden so this may work!!!
  • Lol love the bed dancing, again would love to have seen your face when telling that one.
    vikki xx