Forum home Toddlers & older children Schoolchildren

What age do you class as an 'older child'

My LO (or not so LO) turns 3 on 21st Oct. Does that mean hes not a toddler anymore?? :cry:

Replies

• It's a hard one, true, but I tend to look at it that they're babies til about 12-18 months (which is when most start walking) and an older child to me is a full-time schooler, so from about 4 - 5yrs (ish). I don't necessarily think of a 3 - 4 yr old as a 'toddler'.....it's one of those in-between stages like ages 9 - 12 where they're not a little child anymore but also not a teenager (card companies call them 'tweenagers' lol).
  • so he is a childler???!
  • :lol: maybe we should make that a new word in the dictionary, my dd is nearly 4 and shes not a toddler but I dont think of her as an older child either so maybe she is a childler.
  • :lol: I like that, a childer hehehehe
  • or maybe a toddren :lol: although childler does sound better.
  • for me i class them as babies intill about 12 - 18 months
    toddlers intill they are 5
  • I think that after 3 then they aren't a toddler. My mil is a childminder and as soon as the kids turn 3 they seem to change...they talk properly, they understand things, you stop carrying them cos they wont let you. Pre-schooler might be the word, who knows??
  • I would have said after 3 they're not a toddler anymore but older children is more school age - maybe there should be a forum for pre-schoolers??
  • Got J's nursery start date! 8TH JAN!!!! Aaahhh!!!! noooooo!!! xx
  • lol - no peace for me. I'll still have Isaac (who turns 2 on6th Jan) and Tyler who is 6 months. - I think I'll blub. xx