Forum home Toddlers & older children Schoolchildren
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

precocious puberty (early puberty)

Hi,
My 9 yr old daughter was diagnosed with precocious puberty at the age of 6 meaning that she was going through puberty early.
I wondered if anyone else has had any dealings with this or know someone who has.
Its a very difficult thing to have to deal with.
Like I said, my daughter is now 9 and she has the body of a 13/14 yr old. She has pubic hair and hair under her arms, she has a fair sized bust on her, the mood swings are out of this world and she has also put on a few pounds even though she is a very active girl. The only thing that hasnt happened yet, is she hasnt started her periods, which I guess could happen at any time.
If any one else is in this situation, how do you cope and manage?
Many thanks
Karen xxx

Replies

• my 9 year old is going through it i thought she was early but taken her to docs and they says she is ok and normal its the mood swings i cant cope with everything else we sit and chat about it and i try and help her understand whats going on which can be hard esp when she is only 9
  • My daughter was diagnosed at the age of 6.
    I know what you mean by mood swings. They are terrible. Its like walking on egg shells every day. She has no confidence and not many friends due to this. She says she looks different to girls her age as she has boobs. I have had "the talk" with her about periods and body changes but she just turned round to me and said "mummy, I know". That is really sad coming from a 9 yr olds mouth.
    My daughter has had no childhood due to this illness as her brain is being tricked to think its older than she actually is.
    Information is very hard to come by about precocious puberty and even doctors are not 100% sure on what information to give about it.
    Good luck with your daughter and I hope you cope with the mood swings.
    xxx
  • i think at the moment me and my daughter are both having mood swings me with my pregnancy hormones and her with her puberty ones so we are struggling together hope everything works out and it all gets better and easier your daughter sounds like a clever girl and knows whats happeningxxx