Forum home Toddlers & older children Schoolchildren

School/learning etc.

Hi, just wondering if anyone has advice for me. My 4 year old has just started school. He went to nursery at the school for 7 months first. We have been given some 'homework' for him which is basically learning a letter a week and writing the letter. He will trace over the letter but when he has to do it by himself he just dosent try and draws a line or something. He dosent like to listen to me and cant seem to concentrate for long. Has anyone else gone through this? Im reeally worried that he is going to be illiterate or something!! xx

Replies

• Hi as a teacher and a mother to a 4 year old who has Also just started school I can say thAt it is perfectly normal and is all part of the learning process. Some children pick it up quickly others pick different things up quickly but they will all learn the same things in their own time. Encouraging him to practise lines zigzags etc will help his hand eye coordination and he will get it all of a sudden. I hope he has settled in well and enjoying it. My 4 year old hates school and says it is boring!
  • Hey, dont worry!! Everyone goes through this phase, I mean its perfectly normal !! Your child takes time to adjust in the new environment! As he is surrounded by different people, he may take time to make friends, but slowly and steadily he will!! Same goes for studying as well!! Whatever little he must be doing before going to school will not help him contemnplate with the new things which would be taught in school!! Its all a part of the learning process, you can make him read books at home, story books for instance , before going to bed, tell him to read about his favorite character like noddy, scooby doo!! Then he will be fond of studying as well!! Make sure you have good hobby activities for your child, For my daughter kiara I recently got Crayola Color Explosion Glow Board from hushbabies , through which you can create amazing glowing images with it, Use the six included glow clings and vibrant-colored markers to create your favorite scenes; then touch the magic button and watch your creations light up!image She is allowed to do this for one hour everyday, provided she does her share of homework and complete her school tasks! It is very imaginative, attractive and creative too!! And she totally loves to play with!! So, probably you also can find an interesting game for your child!! And then he has his whole life to learn, dont worry!! xoxo