Forum home Toddlers & older children Schoolchildren

Chocolate or charity? What would your children do?

Hello everyone,

We've  just heard about this fascinating experiment where people from the Child Accident Prevention Trust gave 20 children, aged 5-14, a £5 note and said they could spend it on chocolate or give it to charity – what would they like to do?

Astonishingly, all but one child choose to donate the money to charity. We’re so impressed!

To be honest, we're not convinced our own children would have been so selfless where chocolate is involved (imagine how many Kinder eggs £5 would buy!)

What do you think? Hand on heart, what would your kids choose? Do let us know!

https://us.v-cdn.net/6030864/uploads/ForumPostImages/132352.jpg

Replies

• I think it depends on age. My 7 year old would choose charity as she is very empathic towards others- she quite often gives coins to homes less people she sees in the street and once were in McDonald's and she didn't want all of her meal - she actually took her left over nuggets and fries out to a man she had seen sat outside on the way in. She loves things like comic relief and children in need and donates her own money. Whereas my 5 year old hasn't quite learnt that there are people who are less fortunate than her - she is quite selfish as many 5 year olds are ! She would probably choose chocolate...

• Eat loads of chocolate! :)