Forum home Toddlers & older children Schoolchildren
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

Fever for 4/5 days? Normal?

my daugher is 5. She has has a fever now for nearly 5 days (since friday night) . Alongside that she's has runny/blocked nose, sore throat (at beginning) headache, tummy pain and tiredness. I took her to the doctors on Monday and he said it's just a virus and just give it more time but I'm really worried as her temp is up again tonight. Why won't it just stay down? I'm really worried but all doctors seem to do is fob you off with 'it's a virus' any one habe any advice? Experiences?

Replies

• Hi Sammyjayneex,

Have you been giving anything for the fever? (They usually advice alternating paracetamol with ibuprofen). It could be a case of seasonal flu (in which case the Dr is correct that they can not do anything but advise rest & fluid intake). If the fever does persist with both paracetamol & ibuprofen being given for the next 24hrs then do go back to the Dr & get them to check for any secondary infections that may need antibiotics (my 4yr old is just finishing her 2nd lot after flu became a chest infection & then tonsillitis)

• Thanks 

I've been given her both the past 5 days 

I took her back to see a doctor and she said sounds like a chest infection so have her antibiotics. She's took them for a day so far but her temp keeps rising. I'm getting really frustrated with it and it's stressing me out. Seems like my other daughter is getting ill now. Cant cope with it.