Forum home Toddlers & older children Schoolchildren
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

Am I a bad parent if I send my child to boarding school?

Hi ladies,

I have found myself in a dilemma.. My little girl will be starting secondary school in September and we have been looking at boarding schools. This is something that my husband has suggested (as he went to boarding school), and as much as I will support his decisions about our daughter's future, I can't help but think that I'm doing an 'evil' thing..

Us 3 have looked at a few schools together; I can't lie, I was blown away by the standard of some of these places. One that stood out to us was Queen Ethelburga's- the fact that they had horse stables really got her excited- but I am unsure how she really feels about it. Maybe she hasn't completely acknowledged how much she will be away from the family and her friends that she has made at school already..

I have read stories recently about Dom Joly not wanting to send his kids to boarding school, but have also read things about the guys from Made in Chelsea having a great time whilst they attended. I guess it is what you make it.

I just don't want my daughter to hate me for sending her somewhere she won't be happy image

This is playing on my mind more and more so need to speak to others who have been through similar..

Who has been to boarding school? How was it for you?

Who has sent their children to boarding school?

Replies

• No!!! I think boarding school is amazing for kids. I have not sent my kids to boarding school but I would completely do it if I wasnt moving countries so often! image

I can share with you the research I did on why boarding schools are great! image

1. Most kids who studied in boarding school all grew up independant

2. Kids passed out of boarding school are also very disciplined. Remember: "One thing that all successful people have in common is discipline"

3. They know how to manage money from an early age.

4. They learn to be self-dependant and less dependant on other people later on in their lives. Very important for kids these days.

Whew! I can go on!!! But I really hope this helps!!!