Forum home Toddlers & older children Schoolchildren
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

Teacher refused to let daughter go to toilet

Yesterday my daughter came home upset as the teacher wouldn't let her go to the toilet. It was 10 mins after play and the teacher said she would have to wait until lunch. She asked a second time and told the teacher that holding her wee was giving her stomach ache but was still told no. She had to race to the toilet at lunch and nearly didn't make it.

Was wondering whether to speak to the teacher, she had to wait 1 hr 10 mins x

Replies

• I would speak to the teacher. Your poor daughter. My daughter has a bad habit of dribbling if she doesn't go as soon as she decides she needs (usually when she is already bursting) So her waiting over an hour would result in accident and embarrassment for my daughter which would be avoided. Basic human rights allows us to use a toilet when we need it. 

Your daughter would have concentrated far better and been less uncomfortable has this teacher let her leave class for a few minutes. 

Also ask for school policy. Most young children would struggle to wait over an hour!

• She's also at risk of a uti/kidney infection if asked to hold in the toilet and in turn at risk of urinary retention which then needs medical treatment. So I wouldn't be too happy either 

• Ridiculous!! Speak to the teacher ! 

• Spoke to the school, apparently a lot of children have been messing around in the toilets, so the head has told teachers not to let them out unless they have a note from parents/doctor about a medical problem. Wrote a quick note for my girl to be excused, feel sorry for the other children though.

• That is ridiculous teachers shouldn't have that kind of say over children..this happened to me when I was in primary school I was 7 at the time..I asked to go to the toilet and my teacher repeatedly said no...I held it in for 2 hours! When I finally went I couldn't go as it hurt that much to release it..I was crying in the toilet on my own..I finally went and it caused a severe uti and a kidney infection I was off school for ages..my mother went mad understandably the teacher was sorry to my mum not after saying that he thought I was just pretending and wanting get out of class. Nothing happened no sacking no warning nothing..it's shocking that this still goes on that was 20 years ago! Hope your little one is OK poor thing...glad you went in :) xx

• Sadly they will argue that she could have gone in playtime  (some schools actually remind the children to try for this very reason). 

Hope it gets better now you have spoken to them 

• I suppose kids should be encouraged to go to the loo during breaks, but no way should they be made to wait over an hour! Teacher should just have let her go to the toilet, but made a fuss about making sure she went at break in the future.