Forum home Toddlers & older children Schoolchildren
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

School holidays: love em or loathe em?

Hello, 

We’ve just read two new surveys, which say parents find school holidays a struggle; having to splash out on summer camps, scrabbling for help from relatives to cover childcare and also spending approx a whopping £1000 on summer camps and days out during the 6 week summer hols. 

Does this ring true to you? Do you dread the long summer school hols? Or do you actually like them? Maybe even enjoy them? 

Do come and share your thoughts on school holidays, by posting a reply to this thread - we would love to hear what you think.

Replies

• Options

I save up Tesco vouchers that helps with the cost of some days out will be going Southend a trip to the zoo on them and then we will meet up with friends and do park days aswell as lazy movie days at home does get pricey but I burget to one big day out a week 

• Options

I love Southend too sj83. But don't you find when its a hot day its heaving there! 

If i'm honest, i really hate school holidays - i work and it means i have to send my girls to different summer schemes (there's 4 years between them), arrange to have them collected, and so far i've paid £600 for these summer schemes and that's only sending them 3 day a week for 4 weeks! I am loving not doing the school run, and having time to spend together, (we've already watched Freaky Friday and Gremlins!) and i've got some day trips planned too, but where i don't want to wish the time away, roll on September! 

• Options

my oldest starts school this august. As I work shifts she has always been in private nursery throughout summer so cost me my usual monthly fee of £800 then dropped to £380 last year. As I'm on mat leave this time around she is off. But tbh she is struggling with the lack of structure. I'm running out of things to do with her between having baby and Scottish weather. She has been going to a club once a week with her friend 10-3 for £12 so that's a bargain and we go out a walk nearly every day. Meeting up with friends etc. I haven't allowed it to become too pricey but I can see how it would easily mount up. I am enjoying getting to spend time with her by at same time for her sanity as well as mine roll on school 😂

• Options

Soiuthend can get busy I agree Victoriacakey we're only on week one of the holidays in the uk and weather been horrible so far 

• Options

The schools finished 4 weeks ago in Scotland so been mixed weather so far! mostly wet though 🙈