Forum home Toddlers & older children Schoolchildren

5 year old soiling himself

Hello,

So my 5 year old started pooping himself last year shortly after the birth of his little brother. We initially just assumed it was something to do with that but it hasn’t stopped over a year later. The doctor thought it might be constipation and overflow and prescribed Movicol, which hasn’t made a jot of difference.

He tells me that he doesn’t feel it/doesn’t know when he needs to go, but he’s not incontinent because sometimes he does ask to go for a poo. Plus we have managed to go for just over a fortnight without any poo accidents. 

Some days he will do it up to three times though, despite me trying to constantly prompt him to go to the loo.

Im just at the end of my tether with it😩😭 Has anyone else been through anything similar and come through it?

Thanks,

Beth xx

Replies

• Hi Beth ,

My daughter is the same. She could be fine for a few weeks and then have a few accidents in a day. It’s usually not a lot and either really soft or a hard lump. sorry maybe a bit too much information! I definitely think with her it is diet. We have cut out bread and try and get her to eat plenty of fruit. And that has made a difference. We had a family party this wee and she ate lots of rubbish. She had a couple of accidents yesterday. I hope that helps! 

• Hi Eglew,

It definitely makes me feel better to know that I’m not the only one going through this! :-)

Beth x

• It’s so frustrating! I don’t want to make a big deal about it but Olivia is starting school in September and am worried about her having accidents there