Forum home Toddlers & older children Schoolchildren
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

My Child Doesn’t Like Her Name

Please help. My 14 year old daughter wants me to call her Imogen. I remember her liking being called this name when she was 3. She changed names a lot when she was younger but she really badly wants to be known as Imogen. She said she secretly wanted to be called this name when she was 11 but never told anyone. She dreams of this being her name and she wants me to call her this (she’s not too mad that I’m not changing it, she just wants people to call her this name). She has anxiety and got very embarrassed when she told me this. She said she gets really jealous when she hears another girl is called this, like “it should have been my name”.  I love her name but she really badly wants this name so should I just give up and say yes, “I’ll call you Imogen/Immy from now on”?

Replies

• Options
    I’d just try to explain that everyone gets a name , and everyone’s name is special in their own way and gives away their character . I don’t know but I’d do everything for her to understand that she should start liking her name x 
  • Options
    I would. 14 can be a tough age and I can’t see what harm it would do. Think of it like a nickname for her - if she decides she really likes it she can always change it formally in the future, but this gives her a way to try it out without committing. 
  • Options
    I would try calling her imogen! I know its a little odd but she may change it anyway as an adult. See how it goes she may change her mind or it might stick and she will be happy! 
  • Options
    Thank you. I’ve just decided that I will call her this name.