Forum home Toddlers & older children Schoolchildren
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

question about older children and clothing

Dd1 is 6 years old and about three months ago started wearing her clothes inside out. I queried this with her, at first I thought she'd made a mistake. But her response was "this is my fashion" and she insists everything must be inside out and backwards. I thought it would ease off as the novelty wore off, and sort of thought maybe I should pick my battles especially regarding her 'individuality'. However her teacher was none too impressed, and when other people comment, she seems to really enjoy the attention. I'm just wondering is this a live and let live sort of thing, or should I tell her there is a right way to dress? I thought I had, and I did put my foot down over wearing shoes on the wrong feet. She had a right paddy over that, but why do I spend hundreds of pounds every year of her life on Clarks shoes if she's going to wear them on the wrong feet anyhow. lol.

Just thought I'd ask some advice. Am I letting it go and making a rod for my own back later when she wants to wear mini skirts, or am I letting her express her self so she doesn't necessarily need to wear inappropriate clothing later? Or is that entirely irrelevant and I should teach her a little conformity because no workplace would allow her to dress inside out and backwards. I'm probably overthinking it. lol

xx

Replies

• ha ha, sooo glad its not just my dd lol!!

Ok so I have had to make a compromise with my dd, she can now wear inside out/backwards clothes, skirt round her chest etc etc while at home, in the garden or out with the dog BUT as school children need to look smart and great to get in the golden book at school she has to dress properly!!...it worked. ( there is a golden book but I doubt its for dressing smartly lol!) and the sequrity gaurds at the shops need to see properly dressed children or they have to watch her on the camera!!! lol

Maybe try something along those lines??

dd loves experimenting, loves changing her clothes 20 times a day in an assortment of colours and styles lol..she loves to do it and I swear she will either be a tramp or a fasion desighner when she grows up lol lol