Forum home Babies Sleep
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

Noisy baby

Would really appreciate some support regarding our little girl who is nearly nine weeks. She is a treasure but I am finding it really difficult to cope with the noise at night. She sleeps well between 7.30-12 but then remain s asleep but makes a lot of noise...grunting, wriggling etc. I can hold out sometime til 1.30-2 as she isn't crying. Then I feed her. After this she will settle but only sleeps til about four and then wriggles til 6 when I feed her again. I am loathed to feed her more regularly as I don't think this is what she wants. Also she struggles with wind and is sicky (which I think is why she wriggles so much). I am developing a sleep problem and finding it hard to get to sleep although I am shattered as my little one hardly sleeps all day either!!!!
Anyone got any advice???
I am thinking of putting her in her own room despite cot death advice. Don't know how long I can put up with the sleep deprivation? Also affecting my relationship a bit as I am so tense when I got to bed I don't even want my partner to cuddle me!!!
Please help.

Replies

• Hi bumblebee, we put our lo in his own room at 8/9 wks old for the very same reason. Once he fed he would keep us awake with all the noises he would make when asleep & wriggling about. It's hard enough to cope with the feeding during night never mind being kept awake once baby has settled again.

If you are worried about cot death - you can buy monitors that have a sensor mat that go under the sheet in the cot or the mattress and alerts you if the baby has moved. I have read great things about them but they are expensive.

I didn't buy sensor mat but did have a special mat thing that prevents them from rolling over. Which gave me peace of mind. And I have never looked back. We are all getting good quality sleep now - as we used to wake up lo too - catch 22!

HTH xx
  • Hi bumblebee, we put our lo in his own room at 8/9 wks old for the very same reason. Once he fed he would keep us awake with all the noises he would make when asleep & wriggling about. It's hard enough to cope with the feeding during night never mind being kept awake once baby has settled again.

If you are worried about cot death - you can buy monitors that have a sensor mat that go under the sheet in the cot or the mattress and alerts you if the baby has moved. I have read great things about them but they are expensive.

I didn't buy sensor mat but did have a special mat thing that prevents them from rolling over. Which gave me peace of mind. And I have never looked back. We are all getting good quality sleep now - as we used to wake up lo too - catch 22!

HTH xx

Thanks for the advice and reassurance Charliemum. What is the special mat that you refer to?
  • hi bumblebee, little one is in his cot at the moment but I will find the name of it tomorrow for you & find an image to let you see. It was given to me by a friend so not sure where they bought it.

It goes under babies end and has soft ends at either side so there is enough space for them to move heads about but can't roll over. I had never heard of it before but it works.

let you know more tomorrow
  • hi bumblebee - it sounds like you are talking about my 5 week old daughter, alexa! she has grunted and strained since early days and i have laid awake for hours just praying she would stop, at the same time feeling realy sorry for her as it sounded unpleasant. however, she never cries so isnt distressed. i have spoken to my health visitor about it every time i saw her and she said it was normal. also discovered that so many babies do this - no consolation but i find it helps me to know i am not alone and that it will stop eventually.

alexa strains so noisilly before every poo - i think she just expresses herself really noisilly and i have to wait for her to grow out of it.

have a read of this Q&A in a US chat room about exactly the same problem.

http://www.babycenter.com/400_why-does-my-baby-seem-to-grunt-and-strain-all-day_2000690_164887873974.bc

i had advice from a friend today who said that her first baby grunted all night.....so she wore earplugs and said they really helped. she also had a fan on for white noise.

i am thinking of putting alexa in her own room (when its ready!) but i'm not ready yet - maybe in a month or two.interested in the mat that charliemum mentions.

I give alexa infacol before some of her feeds to keep the wind at bay as she suffered for a bit and also use a Dr Brown bottle for my expressed feeds as it is designed for colicky babies and means they take less air in. You can get them from boots, mothercare etc.

Take care and hope it improves for you quickly
  • Hi to both of you and thanks for the advice and support. Ella is in her own room for the first time tonight!!! I am exhausted recently as, although she has done some fantastic sleeps 7p.m - 4.45a.m!!!!! the other night I have not slept for much of that because of the noise.
    She looks adorable in her BIG cot although she is a big baby - 13lb 2oz at 8 weeks - she still looks titchy!
    Have spent a lot of time with her in her own room since she was little and she loves the mobile so I am hoping she isn't too stressed when she wakes up.
    Take care and good luck with your little ones x
  • Hi bumblebee - Finally remembered to check what Charlies 'thingy' was - it's called a sleep positioner.

http://www.learningcurve.com/product/detail/Y7003A?locale=en_US

You can buy them from amazon this is the one Charlie has http://www.amazon.co.uk/First-Years-Nature-Sensations-Positioner/dp/B000HK89GA

Sorry It has taken me SO long to get back to you. Hope Ella gets on ok in her room and you manage to get a good rest

xx