Forum home Babies Sleep

New parents lose 657 hours of sleep a year, apparently. Sound about right to you or not?

Hi everyone, 

We’ve just seen a story saying that being a parent of a newborn means you lose about 657 hours of sleep a year – which works out at less than 2 hours a night.

And we wanted to know if that rings true to you – or you think it’s more or less than that.

The figures came from a Book Trust survey of parents of children under 3 (so we guess they weren’t all strictly parents of newborns!)

So, do you think that sounds about right? Or is it way off the mark? How many hours sleep do you think you lose a night? Please do come and tell us what you think by posting a reply to this thread. We’d love to hear your thoughts! 

Replies

• Is that all? I remember some nights only getting 2 hours never mind losing 2 hours 😂 

• I think my little one is up every two or three hours so I get about 6 hours a night normally..

the worst move is looking at my phone in the night 😂😂

• Hahaha I prob lose that much a year just in the day as I loved a day time nap with my boy ... a nap well a 2 hour sleep 😂 I think it's different for all. With my first born I didn't lose sleep I think I gained sleep 😂 with my newborn Lenny now I think If we continued this way for a year then it would be accurate but probably more as I go bed later now and do get up once or twice for a feed at the min. 

• Post deleted by MadeForMums. 
    Here's a link to our Chat guidelines. 

• Post deleted by MadeForMums. 
    Here's a link to our Chat guidelines.