Forum home Babies Sleep

Baby won't sleep in our room at night

I wonder if someone could help. I have an almost 3 week old baby. Now, before I start with the problem, I know she is too young for routines and is still struggling with night and day, however, I'm going a little bit mad with lack of sleep.

She will sleep during the day pretty much anywhere; on someone (known or when meeting for the first time), in her sleepyhead, snoozepod, car seat,  pram, in the living room, our bedroom.... literally anywhere. She sleeps for maybe 2 hours then wakes either for a feed or just to look around and we will entertain her. The problem is at night. I don't expect her to sleep through but she doesn't sleep at all if I try her in our bedroom. I usually take her up at 10pm but have tried earlier and later than this. We bath, story and feed before bed. After going up it will be a constant battle (for me.... She rarely cries properly) of feed, hug, putting her down, fuss, wanting to be fed again or a comfort feed but she never sleeps. I've tried leaving her until she cries but then she just cries and cries. If I try the same in the living room she sleeps straight away and wakes every 3-4 hours for a feed and then straight back down.

She will sleep in our room during the day,  the temperature in both rooms is the same, I move the sleepyhead up as she sleeps well in that during the day. I've tried both rooms dark and quiet, my room with white noise and the tv on to mimic the noise she heard during the day... nothing works and I almost always end up back in the living room after about 4 or 5 hours of trying to settle her. As soon as we are in the living room she sleeps.

Sorry for the long winded post but can anyone help? I don' want to make a habit of sleeping on the sofa.