Forum home Babies Sleep
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

Leaving 12 week old to fall asleep alone

hi all,

just wonderinf if you guys think this is okay. My baby boy is 12 weeks old, he is pretty chill and relaxed about most things bless him! But we had been struggling to get him to go to bed earlier, however, when my MIL came over and put him to bed for us, she said she put him in his crib awake and he had the best night sleep of his life.. woke up once in the night to feed l, going down at 7-4-9 😱😱 so we have tried it the last couple of nights, and once again it’s been working wonders! He doesn’t cry AT ALL when in his crib alone, just holds his comforer and babbles a bit for ten mins then falls asleep (we watch on angelcare monitor) and then he’s up at 4 for the boob then sleeps again until exactly 8:58am! 

My question is, is it bad to leave him in his crib in a totally dark room on his own to fall asleep? I feel our evenings with the lights and tv on must have been keeping him up, but I can’t help but feel bad leaving him alone 😪 I won’t ever do the CIO method as I just cant bare it when he cries, but so far, no crying at all!! 

Replies

• Hi,

I think is fine,and as soon as he gets used to it,better for him and you. If he cries,go and comfort him,if not,even better. :) don't worry :) 

• We have been doing this since our little girl is 6 weeks old and ill be honest she does sometimes cry but only for her dummy back and is always asleep within 5 minutes. 

You are helping him learn to self settle to sleep a skill he will need if he Ever goes to nursery and a skill that will make your life easier in the long run 🙂

sounds like a happy and secure little fella to me 🙂

• Wow!!! He sounds like a happy little chappy to me. He's fine. As long as u have the monitor to keep an eye on him, I wouldn't worry. That's amazing. One of my children used to wake approximately 20 times per night. So I would take it as a blessing!!! X