Forum home Babies Sleep
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

My 4 month old WILL NOT SLEEP!

I have a beautiful bouncing baby boy that I adore, he is for the most part wiper Happy and content- although he has recently found his voice and knows how to use it when he's unhappy!

To be precise he's actually 16 weeks, so almost 4 months! Up until just under 3 months he would sleep in his next to me cot, for maybe 4/5 hours feed then up again 2 hours later. He is fed to sleep by me (breastfeeding) which is something I'm wondering whether to try and change, but the idea seems impossible when he sudebt stopped sleeping in his cot! He will sleep maybe a few hours if I'm lucky and after that he is having none of it- I make sure it smells like me, I make sure it's warm, I make sure the room is daro and I think the temperature is ok plus what he's wearing! So I started getting him sleep with me, not ideal but at least I get some shut eye! Now for the last week or so he's been deciding that even if he is in bed with me he wants to feed feed feed feed feed, and a lot of it is defit comfort! But due to the size of my 6"6 partner and the annoying mattress we have I find it hard to breastfeed and sleep all the time - don't get me wrong I have fallen asleep breastfeeding many a time but it isn't always easy! Or comfortable! But it's the frequency, it's just constant all night! So now he won't sleep in the cot and he won't even sleep in bed with me!

Does anyone have any advice? I'm scares that if I start trying to wean him off his sleep feed he won't sleep at all! And I'm starting some part time work from home in a week or so, so I need some brain cells working!

Oh he also flails around at night and wakes himself up! The health visitor recommended getting him a big cot asap so he has more space and that when he is on solids his sleep will improve! 

Thank you,

A tired new mum of 1

X

Replies

• Ive heard that there is a 4 month sleep regression which your baby could be going through! I had hoped that this was an urban myth as my baby is going to be 4 months shortly. I completely feel your pain as my baby boy slept in my bed for pretty much the first 12 weeks. I barely had any comfortable sleep and constantly had nightmares of smothering him. I was so relieved when he decided to go into his basket. We didnt do anything different, just persevered.

Congrats on breastfeeding. Have you thought about introducing some formula? My health visitor recommended this to fill him up before bed. It definitely works and he will sleep up to 8 hours now.  

I.hope that this is a short phase for you and you get through the other side quickly. 

• Thank you sky123! Yes I net it is the 4 month sleep regression! He just started a little early lol! Lucky me!

I tried a bottle of formula once, daddy gave it to him and he would'nt finish it then he wanted boob- most likely for comfort! And still didn't sleep!

I will try the bottle tonight! And having an afternoon nap is helpful!

8 hours of sleep what a dream 😍

Thank you for responding!

Xx