Forum home Babies Sleep
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

6 week old won't fall asleep

Fussiness this past week makes it so that she will not fall asleep when put down to nap, and then ends up staying awake between 3 hour feeds. Late afternoons through evenings are worse. Pacifier works only sometimes. I feel bad putting her down to nap and leaving her alone while she remains awake. Please help! 

Replies

• I don't know if I will be much help but I can only speak from my experience. I have a 10 week old and I very much remember her being extremely fussy around this time. I was told to download an app called Wonder Weeks cause apparently they have a 'leap' around this age and to be honest, it was pretty spot on. 
    I was sure I read something somewhere to that from this age till around week 8 is the peak of fussiness and crying and by god did I know it. Although it was only a few weeks ago, things are definitely better! 
    I don't think I've been much help here at all except waffle on, but most importantly just know you're not alone here and everyone goes through the fussy stage to some extent and anyone who tells you otherwise is fibbing. 
    You're doing a great job! 
  • Hi,  I don't know if it helps but I read it from other blogs and I think it's "sleep regression" where the sleep regression generally describes a phase or season in which a baby who normally sleeps well suddenly starts waking more often at night and refusing naps (or taking very short naps) – for no apparent reason at all. 
  • Hi there it sounds as though you are having a tough time with your little one Fussiness in babies is usual at this early stage of life. Have you thought about a routine that has worked for me in the past. The late afternoons are what a call the twilight zone it is when babies are the most fussy. Try giving your baby a warm a soothing bath at around  at a time that suits you make it the same time every evening and give them a quick massage after their bath, this can help calm and relax them then give them a feed and a some play time put some calm relaxing music on during this time and put them down around 6.30 or at a time that suits you, wake them up again after the three hour period may also assist in them sleeping better. This is only a suggestion. The other thing that I have found useful is to set the scene early make time for some winding down time in the early afternoon. for example  relaxing soothing music baby lullaby music, quiet time maybe lying them on their back with a play gym and then give them a bath and massage and a feed.It is worth a try. Good luck