Forum home Babies Sleep

bed times?

how many of you have a set bed time for you l/o's?
mine are 4 and 7 months, the 4 year old goes to bed at 6.30 and the l/o between 6-7 (usually) am i the only one to put my kids to bed so early?
p.s they get up at 6.30/ 7am

Replies

• my daughter goes to bed at 7 and she is 3 but my friends daughter the same age is in bed by 6pm at the latest she has normally fallen asleep by 5!!!!
  • my lo is 2 at the end of the week and for at least the past year he has gone to bed at 7, he used to go with a bit of a fight until we put some blackout curtains up, now he understands that it's dark so it's bed time and goes straight off.

i think it's important for lo's to have a set bedtime and a gettinf ready for bed routine, for mine it's bath, watch in the night garden, story, milk and bed and like i say we don't usually have any problems.

my sister's lo is nearly 2 1/2 and she doesn't have a set bedtime, think that might be more to do with her being 1 of 4 children though so it's harder for my sister but i do feel sorry for my neice when i see her up past 8.30 and know mine is sound asleep.

sorry if it sounds like i'm being judgemental of others but i feel a routine is important and also so mummys and daddys get quality time in the evening to sit and do nothing at all, or in my case usually tidy up all the chaos from that day!!

kelly x
  • My lo is 2 and a half and goes to bed between 7.30 and 8pm and get up at 7.30
  • Mine are 2 1/2 and 6 months and they both go down between 7.30 8ish. Then the eldest wakes up at 8ish and the youngest around 7ish.
  • Hi guys,
    Most of my friends have set bedtimes for there lo about 7ish seems to be the norm here. My 2 and a bit yr old goes between 7.30 and 8 however it can vary as if he sleeps for three hours in the afternoon he tends to go down later. The H/Visitor said to wake him up after one and a half hours in the afternoon but it was a total nightmare and he would not function properly crying etc for up to two hours and with a new baby it was horrendous so have gone back to letting him sleep as long as he wants. If he goes to bed at 7pm he wakes at 6am and when I have been up during the night (bearing in mind baby has bad colic and screams til 12 every night) selfish as I may sound I don't like getting up that early. Last night he was in bed at 8 and woke up at 7.30 this morning much more reasonable for me.
    Hope all lo's are ok
    Saz
  • My 20 month old goes to bed between 7 and 7.30pm and doesn't wake up until 8am at the earliest!!
    My 5 month old goes to bed at the same time but is usually awake at 6am (he feeds twice in the night too)
  • hiya,
    no your not the only 1, my almost 5 yr old and my almost 3 yr old go to bed between 6.30 and 7pm. i get them up at 6am to get ready for school. if they go to bed any later they spend the next day cranky as hell.
    its a good time for me. it means i can tidy up after dinner and me and oh can spend some time together and some time with lo before he goes to bed (usually between 8.30 and 9pm)
    i too agree set bed times are good. we have dinner around the table as a family, kids get a bath or a wash, have some warm milk and watch simpsons. once simpsons finishes they know its bed time.
    I see some peoples kids running around the street at 9pm who are the same age as my eldest and i do feel bad for them, some parents around here just dont seem to care about their kids much.
  • Hey
    My 2 yr old is in bed by 7pm and up anytime from 6.30-7.30.
    He loves routine. We have 2 teenagers who need to be up by 6.30 to catch bus to school so they usually wake him making teenage noise. They are usually in bed early to from choice as they are tired after a lot of travel and early start.
    Oh and I get some good time together in the evening which is great. xx
  • when my oldest was a baby i'd put give him his last feed at 10pm so that he wouldn't get up til around 9/10am and could still lie in, so SAZZ i wouldn't think you are selfish, especially when your l/o is up all night you need as much sleep as you can x.
    no chance of that now though got to be up and ready for 9o'clock, TONI mine knows it's bedtime after the simpsons too! i do feel a bit sorry for him when there is still kids playing in the street coz he doesn't understand! x.
  • My daughter is 2 this month & she goes to bed at 7:30 - occasionaly 7:45 all depending on if she has a nap during day. She has a routine of tea, bath - like mum2b+toddler, we cant miss In the Night garden which she loves and once thats over she sort of knows bed time is coming up so she is ready for it. She sleeps till 8 am most days apart from when i have to wake her every other week at 7:15 to get to work.
  • my lo is 17 months are normally goes to bed at 6.30pm (& always has done). he gets up at 6.30am though. i don't cook/eat my evening meal til after he's gone to bed, so i don't want it to be too late. in the working week hubby isn't home til 6.30pm, so on these days, lo goes to bed a tiny bit later (e.g 6.45/7.00).
  • Hi ya, Joshua is 17 weeks old and has been going to bed at 7pm since he was 9 weeks old (we tried to get him to go to bed earlier than 9 weeks old but he just wouldnt have it), we feed him at 10pm then he sleeps through till 730am x
  • My little girl goes to bed at 9pm every night & gets up at 9am in the morning. This suits us as I'm a fulltime mum to her so I'm not having to get her up early for nursery & I can get a few things done before she wakens. Shes almost 2 now & we have always had her bedtime at 9, the main reason being that my husband doesnt get home til 6 & it wuld break his heart if he didnt get to spend time with her through the week. I know this would not be possible however if I was working but am grateful that we can have this routine.
    I think that so long as a child is happy in the routine that they are in & it works for them & their parents then there is nothing wrong with it.

Hilary x
  • Hilary, what time do you have your evening meal, do you all eat that together (your LO included). just curious. Cathyx
  • Hi Cathy,

We all have our evening meal together at 6.30. Amy has started to enjoy 'helping' to prepare dinner so I give her little jobs to do (sometimes I have to make one up as it can be hard to find a safe one) & that keeps her happy.
    Our daily routine usually starts when she wakens at 9am & I get her washed & dressed & shes down for breakfast by 9.30am (I wait til she gets up to have my breakfast so we can have it together) Then we usually go out somewhere like mothers & toddlers or jojingles or just a trip to the park every morning. We'll usually have lunch around 1.30pm & then at 3.30pm she goes down for a 2hr nap & wakens up around 5.30pm when we start to prepare dinner. then we all have our evening meal together & we can spend the evening together as a family before she goes to bed at 9pm.
    I know this routine wouldnt work for everyone but we love it as it means she can spend quality time with both of us through the week & shes not just seeing her daddy at weekends.

Hilary x
  • Hi, we all eat together at 6pm. I then let Jamie have a bit of a run around to use up some of his energy and then we get him ready for bed. Bedtime is then usually between 7pm and 8pm. He wakes up at around 7:30 in the morning.
  • kye goes to bed at 8 and is up at half 6 every morning xxxx
  • My lo is 20months and goes to bed at 10pm, this is because she has to have 2hr sleep in afternoon otherwise shes cranky. It suits me fine but it sounds like i should be putting her to bed earlier? she has a routine of bath and story so thats not a prob. she gets up between 8 and 9am. I must be honest though since she was 4months she would go down at 9pm and get up at 9am until a few months ago.
    how do i stop her from sleeping so long in afternoon?

fiona x
  • Fiona I wouldnt worry too much if your routine suits you. My lo still has a 2 1/2 hour sleep in the afternoon. Shes such a wee livewire when shes awake she really needs a good sleep to recharge her batteries. If your routine isnt causing you any problems then I personally wouldnt change it.

Hilary x
  • hi ya i have a 4 and 10 and 18 week old the 4 year old goes to bed at 7pm and the 10 year old between 8 and 830 18 week old is in bed by 7 ish depending 4 year old gets up between 630 and 7 10 year old would sleep all day if her sister would let her lol