Forum home Product Tests Sponsored discussions
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

What books do you love reading with your child? Tell Egmont: chance to win £100 voucher!

Replies

• Every night we have story time at bedtime.  My son Owen aged 4, favourite book is 'Little Rabbit Foo Foo' by Micheal Rose and Arthur Robins. A great rhythmic words with lots of repetition, my son remembers all the words.It's most hilarious book to read with moral of the story. When we bought the book it come with a DVD of the story.image

• I LOVED reading with my kids. Just before bedtime, when everything else just stops and It is just the sound of my voice and them giving me their 100% attention.

At first, it was the joy of watching them fall asleep, then as they got older, it was having them follow the story with e (and noticing if I tried to skip sections LOL).

Finally, at this stage, I love hearing them read to me and I also enjoy discovering what type of books they kove to read x

• I loved Richard Scarrys Busy Busy World. My son and daughter have been enjoying Richard Scarrys books as well, I've just ordered Busy Busy World, can't wait to share it with them. 

From an early age our daughter has loved books, she is 5 now and learning to read herself.  I love reading to her at bedtime, she seems at her most animated at this time and really gets into the story.  At the moment we love JULIA DONALDSON'S ROOM ON THE BROOM.

• My 7 month old has always enjoyed books. At the moment he loves "That's not mine..." series. My mum didn't really have time to read to us, as she was working really long hours, so my granny took over that part ☺️ 

• My favourite book when I was little was The Hungry Caterpillar. I remember making Mum read it to me over and over and over again (I'm sure she got rather bored of it), and then reading it by myself as I got older. When my little nephew was born, I managed to find my old copy up in the loft and gave it to my sister to read to him, making sure it lives on in the next generation of our family!

• I remember when my eldest Lily now 7 was about 2 years old she sat on her bed one night and recited "We're going on a bear hunt" word for word. I had tears streaming down my face I was so proud although I knew she wasn't actually reading it I thought she was incredible! She loves reading now and pretty much reads anything we love snuggling up and indulging in Roald Dahl who is my favourite children's author we take it in turns to read a chapter. 

My middle child Mia is 5 and has struggled to grasp reading although since starting year 1 in September and having some 1:1 time with a reading recovery teacher at school & practicing lots at home she has come on leaps and bounds. The other evening she sat and read to her baby brother which completely melted me. As a mummy and a teacher I believe reading is one of the most magical things you can do with your child & it's never too early to read with your little ones.

• I would always choose 'five minutes peace' by Jill Murphy to read with my mother, although I couldn't understand why Mrs elephant needed five minutes peace! It's special reading this with my own son now and seeing him enjoy it as much as I did. Other favourites my son enjoys are 'lost and found' by Oliver Jeffers (he just loves penguins!)  

The Gruffalo and Superworm by Julia Donaldson are also strong favourites, my son loves the illustrations.

At christmas, The Jolly Christmas postman is read every night well into the new year!  

• My favourite book as a child was Billy Goat's Gruff. I am currently enjoying reading Hairy Maclary by Lynley Dodd to my three year old daughter or any Julia Donaldson book.

• Story time  is actually one of my only childhood memories. I remember my mum used to sit in a white wicker chair in the middle of mine and my sister's single beds. She would read to us every night and we devoured each word. our favourites were Enid Blyton short stories and, it's not especially famous but, we had a special one called 'Lanky Panky.' We memorised every word and mum often tried to skip bits to speed up the reading but we wouldn't let her.

Now with my own two boys I read to them both separately every night before bed. My eldest son, who is almost 5, enjoys the modern classics such as 'The Grufalo'  and 'Aliens love Underpants.' My youngest son is 17 months and I can already tell that he's an avid reader. He loves pop up books and touch and feel stories too.

There is something vey calming and special about story time. No matter how stressful the day has been, or how many over-tired tears there have been during bath time, story time is a treasured ten minutes of peace and closeness and bonding time. I love it xx

• I don't recall my mum reading to me as a child - she did tell us stories but usually from memory rather than from a book (English wasn't her first language so that made it harder for her to read) - The beauty of hearing her stories were that they were from a different culture so to us they were more exciting than hearing three little pigs or red riding hood over and over. 

My children adore books and I have read with each of them from when they were tiny babies. My son got to the point of being able to recite Mr Magnolia - except the line where it says 'in his pond lived a frog and a toad and a newt' he couldn't remember newt so he said frog again, looked puzzled that it didn't rhyme, then carried on. 

My daughter loves everything by julia donaldson (so do i) and The Gruffalo's child is her very favourite at the moment. I love The Snail and the Whale and I also adore Oliver Jeffer's books so i keep a stack of them to hand so I can read them regularly to my children. 

Childrens books are just awesome and I know I will keep hold of all my favourites long after the children are grown up and leave home! 

• When i was younger my mother didnt really read us books she always made up stories to tell us, I dont really remember much of my childhood due to personal reasons but I remember that she would tell us spooky stories just before bed :) 

with my eldest I used to read to her every night, i would let her pick her book and everytime it was the same book it was called hugless douglas to the point she basically read it herself just from memory, This book was special to us because when she was younger we never were able to stay in 1 home for very long as we had to flee from her father and had to move everytime he found us, between the age 1 to 4 we had moved over 14 times each time we had to leave our stuff clothes, beds, toys and more but that one book came around with us everywhere... she will be turning 7 in may and to this day we have that book bit battered and damaged in her got to colour everything stage but i could never part with it 

know we are settled we have just spent our second Christmas in the same house (very big for us to even be somewhere more then a year) and she know has a little sister and as she learns to read at school she comes home and reads to her sister :) she will never remember out struggles but i will and that 1 book that we own means more to us then anything else we own its prof we made it xx 

• I remember reading to my bump when I was pregnant with my first baby. I bought loads of books - which we still have a read now. I can read find but; I was never encouraged when I was younger by my parents- my mother could not read - I didn't realise this until I was a lot older. I think it made me read to my children more. My eldest child, we now call her belle - as she is just like her always walking around with a book in her hand at the age of seven it's kind of refreshing to see as most children these days love the electrical gadgets.  We often find her reading to her younger brothers and sister. And she has also helped me teach her five year old brother to read too. Story time in our house is so important and there will always be book shelf with new reads for them. 

• My daughter loves her books, there isn't one particular book that is her favourite but i have particular sentiment in reading the "Very Hungry Caterpillar" to her as it is the very same book i got when i was 2 years old, it is falling apart but let's just say it has been well read and she pretty much knows the story by heart now!  Oh and another story she particularly likes is "Eva the Diva" have to say it is highly amusing as a parent reading it!

• My boy loves reading time. It's also snuggle time! He loves any stories with colourful, vibrant pictures. This is him when he was younger having story time x image

• Reading time is great excuse for an extra cuddle. I really enjoy the evening story time when we have it in bed. It is special because it is a calm, relaxed bonding time.

As a very young child I used to enjoy my mother reading Molly Brett's Hare in a Hurry to me.

Our current favourites are Dr Seuss, Winnie the Witch and Usborne Flap Books.

• As a child I loved the Richard Scarry books with all the different animals and my children now have my old books.  My youngest daughter and I read Julia Donaldson books and she also loves Dick King-Smith books.  

My oldest daughter prefers David Walliams and Roald Dahl due to all the humour.  All 3 of us have a bookcase each and I love to read and reread books.

• When i was younger me and my mum would read the owl and the pussy cat every night. She would do different voices for the different charters, we read it that much that i know it word for word and when i have children i will be able to read it to them.

• imageHere is my mum reading with my granddaughter, as a retired teacher, she spends time teaching children to read at a local primary school, she is amazing at 87, we all love her lots.

This discussion has been closed.

Featured Discussions