Forum home Product Tests Sponsored discussions
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

What books do you love reading with your child? Tell Egmont: chance to win £100 voucher!

Replies

• My mum was a primary school teacher so we read a lot of books! Memories are of The Little Mermaid, Alfie Gets In First, The BFG...and these are some of the books I now read to my children, it seems both I and they particularly love the My Naughty Little Sister books!! Reading is such a lovely time to relax, connect and be calm, and to imagine and get creative. X

• image My little one id only two weeks old but someone bought us peepo and I can still remember my mum reading this to me.

I started to read him to sleep last night, he likes the singsong voice.

It was always fairy tales that me and my mum loved. She was good at all the voices and editing any scary bits.

• My son turned two in October so his idea of reading is a little different to mine but our bedtime stories are just a magical time. Recently his favourite book is The Very Busy Spider by Eric Carle and my son's memory simply amazes me. I can point to the animal on each page and then he will give the noise it makes and give me the last word for EVERY sentence in the book! So proud we're going to have a little bookworm 😊image

• WE always climbed into bed and read together. All 4 of us reading together until they were both over 10. What a squash!image

• We read to our son every night and often throughout the day! Books I was read when I was little are the best, Peepo is my favourite!

• My daughters favorite stories are Stickman and the Gruffalo. She adores these books and has completely memorized them. When she is tired or poorly she will ask me to read the books to her. When she is playing independently she will line up her teddies and dolls and read them the stories (and if they don't pay attention they will be put on the time out step and have to apologize to her later). She also loves watching the movies and keeping her book at hand at the same time so she can follow the book and the movie simultaneously. Besides these she likes reading together many stories about princesses and animals. I read both an English and a Dutch book to her at bedtime hoping she will benefit from bilingual skills later in life.

• I loved reading from an early age & I am delighted that my son shares this interest! I registered him at our local library early on & we go regularly to keep the bedtime stories fresh! We could easily spend an hour or more & we both enjoy having a look through all the books, seeing how many books we can find on a particular theme (i.e monsters, under the sea, witches, etc) - it's narrowing our choices down the borrowing limit of 12 which is the problem!! Current favourites include Dogger by Shirley Hughes, Go Bugs Go by Jessica Spanyol & The Totally Terrifying Three by Hiawyn Oram. He loves really detailed pictures & has always really liked anything by Richard Scarry. Julia Donaldson were favourites when he was younger as he liked the rhythm & bounce of the rhyme - I found this really helpful too as would recite books when I ran out of things to say when he was a tiny wee one!

• My mum would read the Mr Men books to my brother and myself. 

Both of us loved the experience. The experience didn't just stop at reading time. It would be going to my nan and Grandads for the weekend,  with the weekend trip to the local garden center. Where we would both allowed to pick a Mr Men or miss book each. 

Then we would wait till we went home Sunday evening to have bed time reading of our new books with mum and dad. 

It is something very special a feeling which is unique to each person. For my brother and myself it involved mum, dad,  nan and grandad. Needles to say we got the whole collection in the end. I've got them still all in a box ready to red to my little one.

I don't think people understand the power of bed time stories with mum. 

• My Mum used to read to me every night at bedtime, but also regularly during the day. I had lots of different books and she was never to busy to take the time out and read whenever I asked. My Mum started a collection of Beatrix Potter books for me from my Christening onwards and I still have them all now! I passed these on to my own daughter and I hope she will one day have a daughter to pass them on to!

• As I got older and could read for myself, my Mum would still read to me. I always wanted a hamster but my Mum wouldn't let me have one as she knew how upset I would be when it died, but she did get me a book called Haffertee Hamster Diamond. It was about a girl who's hamster died and who was given a plush hamster which came to life instead. I was enthralled by the book and I read it over and over again,  and my Mum would read me it in chapters at bedtime. She got me all the other books in the series and then had a friend make me a plush Haffertee so I had my own one to have adventures with. Over 30 years later I still have both the books and the toy!image

• with 4 kids from ages 3 to 18 i have read my fair share of bed time storys from the hungry caterpillar to the hobbit and so many in between i love reading and i remembere when the harry potter books were huge i wasnt really bothered about reading them since i was an adult and thought they were for kids the 5th was being advertised and my daughter wanted me to get them for her and we started reading the first book together but i got so hooked that after the first evening i finished the book by myself before the next evening and ended up rereading it too her but before i finished reading it to her had read the next 4 that were already out and by the time we got to the end of the second book i had re read them again i am a huge fan and now believe that you definitely shouldn't judge a book because if i did i would never have read them and i love them even writing about reading them i may have another go through lol 

• This is my little one image☺️

• My daughters favourite book at the minute is spot the dog. My mum use to read this to me aswell. We read together when she first gets up we then have to have a book and milk at nap time and the nurserry rhymes book and milk at bedtime while having cuddles 

I love reading with our Daughter Alexandra, I've been reading to her since she was a tiny baby. I read to her at any time but especially at bed times. I love reading The Gruffalo by Julia Donaldson in particular It's such a fun story & Alexandra loves it.

My Mum used to read to me as a child & my favourite story was Pippi Longstocking by Astrid Lindgren.

• I loved reading Mrs Pepperpot with my Mum and my eldest daughter loved these stories too. It's great to imagine the adventures of Mrs Pepperpot as she randomly shrinks to the size of a pepperpot!image I also loved rhythmic books like 'Going on a Bear Hunt' where my children would join in and gain confidence in reading whilst having fun acting out the scenes described in the story!image

• Just recently my mum found my old sylvanian families book. My almost 4 year old daughter loves it. She already plays with my old toys and loves hearing the stories of the familiar characters.

My 1 year old son loves what the ladybird heard. He copies all the animal noises and loves finding the ladybird on each page.

• Im a mum to a 5 year old and we both love Roald Dahl. The book that we read was actually mine and has my name and age 7 1/2 wrote inside. Jessica always questions me about this as she cant believe I was once a child, im now 37.

I did buy her a new copy of Dirty Beasts but the illustrations are different and she prefers the old tatty one.

• My son loves books . He loved the. Julia Donaldson books especially the gruffalo, zog and super worm. He also loves mr men books . The dinosaur that pooped the planet were great for little boys sense of humour. I had a personalized book from lost my name about getting lost in space and then it shows a google maps picture of your house when you find your way home - he loved that . He also loved noisy and pop up books when he was small and loved the usborne that's not my series too 

•  love to take my eldest to the library once a month. He loves to have a ratch through all the different books and pick a couple to take home. We always make this our bed time story for the night. Theres nothing sweeter than settling down after a busy day with my  and a book. 

• Aww we love bed time stories in our house!
    My daughter looks very relaxed in her bed whilst I read her the books my mum read me when I was little! 
    A fantastic little book set of Beatrix Potter books (My mum kept them back for me because she knew how much I loved them)
    My little girl absolutely loves them, Sometimes she randomly draws pictures of our story book tales, It is great how she can use her imagination through a wonderful book
    I have added a photo of my childhood book set that is now my daughters <3 image

This discussion has been closed.

Featured Discussions