Forum home Product Tests Sponsored discussions

What books do you love reading with your child? Tell Egmont: chance to win £100 voucher!

Replies

• I used to love 'Laura's Star' it always seemed so magical and special at the time, I will definitely be reading to my little girl when she arrives. 

• I always remember reading with my mum and now alot of the books I read with her I now read to my 2 year old son. Classics like the Hungry caterpillar and Guess how much i love you. It's been great rereading them all

• My son is absolutely loving Roald Dahl at the moment, we have just finished Fantastic Mr Fox which he loved. I'm so glad that he loves Roald Dahl as much as I do as I read all of his books when I was younger and still have them now

• i love reading stories to my little girl our favourite at the moment is Room on the Broom :-) It gives us a great opportunity to cuddle up together and she loves the different voices for the different animals 

• English wasn't my mom's first language, so she wasn't a confident reader. My dad read me the most stories as a child and instilled in me a love of reading which I am passing down to my own children. My eldest is now three and we love going to the library to choose new books each week. The books we read constantly change but there are some we keep coming back to. We love 'the Gruffalo' and 'Oh No George'. Books are so special, I really hope to show them that.

• We love to read together.  I used to love the Mrs Pepperpot books as a child.  The ones I read to my children, that  also loves are Miffy and the Mr Men books. My son's favourite book is Stick man.  I love it too, it's so very sweet. 

• loved reading fairytales  three little pigs  little red riding hood etc loved reading them and playing the roles  my children really enjoyed listening and always dozed off happy bless them 

• great seeing them 'graduate to say the more challenging fiction of R Dahl and to hear them express early likes and dislikes in literature.

• Thanks, everyone, for all your lovely posts – and wonderful pics! 

Just a reminder that today is the last day this thread is open, so, if you want to be in with a chance of winning the £100 shopping voucher, you'll need to add your post to this thread by midnight tonight.

Good luck all!

• imageAs a child my mum always use to read the story 'Peace at last' to me, its still my all time favourite kids story! My boys love the Emily brown series of stories but have recently discovered 'The dinosaur that pooped a planet' and think its hilarious! 

This is my all time favourite photo of my eldest looking at books... He's never liked parrots and his expression on his face here shows that from when he was just 6 months old! haha

• Any books like Room on the Broom where I can change my voice has kept us amused and interested in books for many nights :-)

• My daughters favourite book at the moment is Thumberlina. I love reading to her, but we do sometimes have a laugh, whilst I'm reading! I sometimes am so tired I start to doze off to sleep half way through a book,  continue talking, but its not the book I'm talking about! I obviously go into a dream and start sleep talking. It makes Rebecca laugh so much because she knows the story so well and starts laughing and saying that's not in the book! The problem is once we start laughing because of whatever I've said half way through the story, we can't stop laughing and it takes another good half hour to get her to sleep!

• With five children, I've read a lot of books over the years to my children. I've loved sharing stories from my own childhood with them like The Elephant and the Bad Baby as I had such fond memories of being bounced up and down whenever the elephant went rumpeta rumpeta all down the street and as an adult I realised how much your legs ache as you make sure the story is just as much fun for your own child to enjoy!

Each Peach Pear plum was another book I bought before my first child had even arrived as I'd loved it so much when I was little and that was the first book my eldest child knew by heart and he would proudly pretend to read the book to me.

Julia Donaldson has become a firm favourite in our household and as my older children grow up, they discover more and more books which I read at school which gives me a great opportunity top rediscover old favourites from Roald Dahl, Enid Blyton, and classics like  the Chronicles of Narnia. Seeing my children progress from Each Peach Pear Plum to books like Harry Potter and The Hunger Games whilst still in primary school makes me really proud to have instilled in them a love for reading as it really does open up a whole new world for them.

Reading with your children from a very young age creates such a magical bond and I'm certain, enhances their imaginative skills and vocabulary. I can't think of another activity which makes me feel closer to my children than sitting with my arm around them reading to them or hearing them read.

• I loved enid blyton railway childern what an amazing story.y mum use to read wind in the willows to me which i also love shr saved it and now i read it to my daughter wr love books you can lose yourself in another world x

• My mum always read to me every night before bed from as young as I can remember! I could even read before I started school! She started with the old Ladybird Peter and Jane books which used the same sequence of words throughout! The familiarity of the words and the fact they were only a few letters long made it easy to recognise them in the other books in series! I have also read to my children every night since they were babies to encourage  love of reading! My little girl could memorize books and at 2 could read the whole of Eric Carles 'The very Hungry Caterpillar' this was one of her all time favourites! As my children got older I bought the Magic Key books with Biff, Chip and Kipper! Like the Ladybird books they used the same sequence of words and were great in helping them recognise the words! I Believe it is so inportant to encourage children to read and just as important to listen to your children read!

My children choose their own books to read now, and my son attends a book club in school! Being able to read has helped them with being able to spell, their expression when writing stories in school and importantly expanding their knowledge! The only problem I have is the speed at which they go through books! I try to buy ones which they will both enjoy and can swap over when read. My daughter has just finished reading 'Mr Gum' and is onto 'Pax' a lovely illustrated book about a fox and enjoys all the Roald Dahl books, my son is currently working his way through the David Walliams books he recieved for Christmas! X

• my 4 and 5 year old love the gruffalo and they love hearing their name in stories, my 9 year old has just started reading the harry potter series and loving it.

• My twins are obsessed by the meg and mog stories that my mum read to me when I was tiny. The books are slightly worse for wear now but very well loved and its so nice to see them enjoy them even though they are over 30 years old

• I loves reading Hans Christian Anderson books and Beatrix Potter.

• My favourite book that my mum read to me when I was a child and my children also loved me reading to them was 'The Faraway Tree' by Enid Blyton.  It's such a magical book that keeps children captivated, especially if like me you use different voices for the different characters which can get a bit tricky but children love it!

• Sadly my Mum passed away several years ago but i have very treasured memories of times we shared when i was a child with her reading to me. My Mum was very patient so much so that she used to spend hours teaching me from a very early age how to spell and read, that as i entered into Infant School i could read and write! The teachers used to get me to help the other children with their learning of reading and writing. And much to my Mums delight at the age of 7 i won a National Literacy Award! All down to my Mums patience and love. One of my favourite books that my Mum used to read to me and then after together was the stories of Hans Christian Anderson i remember that i was engrossed and enthralled in the magical world of these lovely books. Not to forget those cuddles and closeness of time spent with my wonderful Mum. 

This discussion has been closed.

Featured Discussions