Forum home Product Tests Sponsored discussions
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

Weaning your baby onto solid food: tell Ella’s Kitchen about introducing veg: voucher to win!

Replies

• hi...

to start solid food for babies after 6 months... make the following recepie..

ingredients: whole urad bean/White lentil ,Pigeon pea / Red gram,Split Bengal gram, rice(equal quantities)

first dry roast all pulses in a pan  then powder it.. now take a bowl add water 1:3 i.e for 1 spoon of pulses powder 3 spoons of water ,boil it until it become soft , add salt and gee for taste and feed to baby

8 months baby and above:

you can give mixed daal rice:

beetroot,potato,rice, pulses ,salt,gee,few cumin's- pressure cooker it... yummy yummy mixed daal rice  ready to feed ur baby...

you can give milk sago ....

• i think the easiest way to introduce a vegetable initially is to puree with a fruit, like apple and parsnip, swwet potato and pear, my granddaughter soon moved on the these veg on their own.  Lyra is now 16months old and the easiest way to get her to eat more veg is either to give them to her raw, which she loves or grate them into meals such as cottage pie, fish pie, spag bol etc where it is easy to add veg without her being aware they are there

• My Twin babies are 6 months and two weeks old. I started weaning them two week ago and I gave baby rice for two days. just wanted them to have something easy to digest. on the third day I gave Sbutternut squash. they weren't too sure about it. now its been two weeks and they love butternut squash. so far I have tried Peas, Carrots. potato with lentils, sweet potato, broccoli.  Theirs favourite vegetable is sweet potato,

fruits - They love Papaya, Mango and Banana. wasn't too sure about cooked apples.

I love preparing food for them, its s exciting. next week im planning to add spinach to theirs meal!

Thank you

• I purred vegetables such as carrots , suede and mash potatoes from being 5 month.  I made the veg always look bright and colourful on there plates to attract them - sometimes make a face using peas and sweetcorn ! get creative with your kids and they will lap it up. 

• i really enjoyed weaning my little girl, I loved watching her try new things and enjoy them.

her very first taste of solid food was Apple purée at 5 months - as soon as she saw the spoon coming towards her she grabbed my hand and pulled it into her mouth!  And that was her last taste of purée, that evening i gave her carrot and brocolli to feed herself and she loved it.  From then on we just gave her a little of whatever we were eating (I took her portion out before adding salt). 

i'm sure eating peas helped her to develop excellent fine motor skills.

By the time she was 9 months old she was sharing a sirloin steak with her daddy.  And now at 2 and a half she eats anything, sometimes she seems to 'go off' some fruit/veg but I just keep putting it on her plate and after a week or two she'll start eating it again. 

• The first solid food we tried with our baby was baby rice, it is very easy to mix with baby's usual milk.

The first kind of veg we introduced was butternut squash as I read which veg would be suitable and this was one of those recommended. Our baby likes sweetcorn best now.

We haven't really faced any challenges when introducing veg. Luckily our baby eats most things. I think it helps when everyone in the family eats the veg together.

• The first solids I introduced was baby rice just to get my daughter used to food. She loves her veg and her favourite is carrots. I think the tip is to just keep trying different foods and just because they don't like something the first time don't give up - sometimes it is a texture rather than taste that they have to get used to. 

• I first tried my 2 on baby jars like egg custard and they loved it (probably because it's creamy and smooth like milk).

When I moved onto veg it was blended carrot and potato as they blend smooth and I figured most people like them so why not my babies. They really liked it. They also likes blended butternut squash - think the sweetness helped.

I would just say start early, with my first we didn't push veg early on and found she now tends to be a bit more fussy. With my second we gave her veg early on and she'll now eat any veg we put in front of her x

• As I was completely confused, scared and unsure of how to approach weaning, after much research  I decided to puree veg then freeze into icecube trays so I could defrost small amounts for convenience. A week before being 6 months, my girl tried pureed potato and appeared to like it. Swept away with the idea, I manically pureed cauliflower, broccoli and sweet potato ready to add to the frozen stash. The next time I tried to offer my daughter she absolutely refused to eat any puree and wouldn't let the spoon near her mouth. After trying numerous efforts of failed distraction I gave her a steamed broccoli tree and a stick of carrot on her tray and she ate it up immediately. From that point on we stuck with baby led weaning. She eats what we eat, usually at the same time which has meant earlier dinners sometimes. I try and find imaginative ways to use veggies in meals, like courgetti, grated veg in pasta, veggie fritatas and burgers,  blended beans in tomato sauce and smoothies. Sometimes she loves it, sometimes much to my dismay it ends up smeared on my floor. Despite this, it works for us. 

My top tips would be to attend a baby/child first aid course if you're nervous about choking, try and plan ahead the weeks meals and baulk cool and freeze if possible - things like veggie burgers or pancakes are especially good. Don't be scared to add a bit of flavour with herbs and spices a bit further down the line. My daughter gives me filthy looks for bland food. Most importantly, try not to stress about it too much, even if they aren't eating they can still have fun with new textures and experiences,  just try to join in with the fun with a huge supply of wetwipes to hand!

• My daughter has such a sweet tooth for fruit but when we tried veg she wasn't sure at first. She would shudder at the taste of carrots and green-beans, but when she discovered sweet-corn we struck gold, and now enjoys them all the time. 

• Hi Ella's Kitchen

I only ever used Ella's kitchen products through the whole of weaning and my little girl was a huge fan! I can remember all of her faces through the first tastes, how orange she got when trying carrots, she absolutely adored the parsnips parsnips parsnips and peas peas peas.

I started weaning at 6 months and at first it was incredibly hard but any new parent shouldn't give up because they do eventually get used to all the new tastes and flavours although at first it can be so stressful.

My advice would be just keep on and persevere with getting veg in them as I found my little girl preferred fruit over veg and now it's so much harder to get veg in her. Although she is a fan of veg in gravy, especially peas as there her favourite. Keep on and persevere and weaning gets so much easier if you don't give up if they don't like it first time, just leave it a few days and try again and keep trying until they love their veg, all the little faces are entertaining and how messy they get is completely worth it.

• What was the first solid food you tried with your baby – and why?

We tried with Bananas, Carrots and broccoli. These can be mashed up easily and are very easy to consume for young ones.

What kind of veg did you introduce your baby to first – and when? And which veg does your baby like best?

Carrots and broccoli as stated, but my daughters favourites veg is now peas.

What challenges have you faced when introducing veg? Have you got any tips for other mums on getting your baby to eat veg?

Don't rush things. If they seem not interested, try and introduce just a little with something that you know they like and make feed time fun for them.

• What was the first solid food you tried with your baby – and why? With my first son the first foods i tried were vegetables like carrots peas and sweet potato .My second son the same kind of things but my third we started with brocolii and cauliflower 

What kind of veg did you introduce your baby to first – and when? And which veg does your baby like best? MY first son preferred sweet potato my second peas and carrots and my third cauliflower

What challenges have you faced when introducing veg? Have you got any tips for other mums on getting your baby to eat veg? The challange i faced with my first two were introducing the sweeter vegetables first it was taht they were not too keen on others , my top tip is do not give in at the first hurdle try another day 

• Steamed broccoli and cauliflower florets with my first one, as I was all for baby led weaning foods that he could pick up, and apple sauce with the second because we were having it with dinner and he seemed interested.

Both my sons have always liked broccoli and carrots; butternut squash on the other hand they won't touch even to this day, which is a shame as I really like it.  Although most advice seems to be about hiding vegetables, I have had much more success getting them to eat veggies which are just on their own - the mushrooms they are happy to eat by themselves seem to become suspicious when they are mixed in a casserole.

My main tip for weaning is never ever, under any circumstances, attempt to cook melon.  One day when we ran out of apples and pears I experimented with stewed melon; the whole kitchen was filled with an evil smell like old cabbage water and even my husband wouldn't eat the results!

• The first food we introduced to our baby boy was carrot, followed by parsnip and sweet potato. We chose to do baby led weaning so gave him cooked veg sticks straight away rather than puree. He was keen to give them a try but didn't seem to much enjoy them initially, although he was happier with green veg once we introduced that. We introduced quite a lot of new foods quite quickly and within a couple of weeks he was happily eating most veg, except for carrot, which it took him about a month to decide he liked. Now, 3 months on from when we started weaning, he loves his food. I would say his favourite vegetables are tomatoes, peas, beans, Mangetout and sweet potato, although I can't think of any he seems to dislike. We've been really lucky as he took to veg very easily without any real work from us but I suppose my tip would be just to let them keep trying things, give a choice and they'll get there in their own time. 

• My daughter is happy enough with most veggies but she has an obsession with peas!  I think it's the pleasure of using a pincer grip, but she will literally throw her meat & potato etc to the floor in order to find the peas hiding underneath!

• Our daughter's first meal at 6 months was cucumber batons and avocado slices.  We went baby led rather than the puree route, and it worked really well for us.  She still absolutely loves cucumber, and will give any food a go at a year old.

• I followed the Annabelle Karmel books for the first few months of weaniing and they were great. Starting with not too sweet foods helped my children to accept a good range of vegetables and adding cinnamon early on made sure they were on their way to enjoying the spicy food I enjoy! My must have in the bag food was always Ella's Kitchen Pear and Peas as I had the attitude to baby food that I had to like it if my children ate it, and I really did like the taste of this!

As my children were breast fed, they weren't that hungry for foods at first (I started at 5 month 2 weeks with both girl) and weaning seemed really slow until they hit around 7 months when they suddenly showed a lot more interest in solid food. 

• My son's first vegetable was mashed carrot when he was four months old (it was the advice we were given then about introducing solids).   He loved it.  I then slowly introduced other vegetables over time starting with the most easily digested and leaving things like brussel sprouts until he was bigger as he had suffered from colic when very tiny. We never made a big thing about veg - it was just something else that was on your plate to eat.

• My little girl was introduced to sweet potatoes mashed with carrots first and she absolutely loved the combination of them both!

I was reading a blog at the time of weaning my little girl and read that sweet potato is a popular food for babies!
    My son started off with some mashed potatoes and carrots (He wasn't impressed) But we kept at it and he started enjoying them, He loved peas (because he was able to pick them up himself)

They both love carrots and peas mixed through their meals which to me is fantastic! :)

This discussion has been closed.

Featured Discussions