Forum home Product Tests Sponsored discussions
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

Weaning your baby onto solid food: tell Ella’s Kitchen about introducing veg: voucher to win!

Replies

• i started with pureed carrot for first introduction to weening i bought the jars at first as i thought these must be better for her nutritionally but once i got more confident i just blended the veg myself and wondered why i bothered worrying.we still do use the occasional fruit pouch when were out i like to have an emergency one in my bag incase were stuck in traffic or whatever.but mainly i just blend the veg up myself or cut the food into tiny pieces.my baby loves sweet potatoes and pea .he also loves strawberries now summers nearly here theyre in season and weve had lots of them.

• I started my daughter with mushed up carrots and broccoli but she wasn't too keen. I then tried her with diced bits of vegetable and she much preferred eating those.

I have a little bit of a battle with her now as she loves fruit but is not a huge veg fan. I add them to pasta sauces and try her with lots of different types of vegetables to give her variety which helps.

• What was the first solid food you tried with your baby – and why? Soggy toast because i thought it wasn't too hard and was easy to chew.

What kind of veg did you introduce your baby to first – and when? And which veg does your baby like best? Broccoli in a broccoli bake and he loves it!

What challenges have you faced when introducing veg? Have you got any tips for other mums on getting your baby to eat veg? The only challenge was the mess! Up the walls, on the floors - everywhere but his mouth! Mix veg in with other foods, to stop fussy eaters!

• I found with both my children that pureed butternut squash was an excellent vegetable to start weaning with. Butternut purees really well and has a mild and slightly sweet taste.  As babies get older a base of butternut is really good for adding new flavours too (broccoli seemed to pair really well).

• it was discovered at 5 months that my son had a milk and soya intolerance. It answered a lot of questions and solved a lot of problems. However, when coming to weaning it meant I was nervous in case other intolerances were present. After talking to the health visitor I decided to start weaning at 5 months 1 week old. I was advised to introduce vegetables slowly and over a number of days to make sure. I actually used Ella's kitchen pouches to do this as they have a lot of one veg options. I started with their sweet potato as everyone said it was a great first food. My son loved it and ate quite a few spoonfuls and I was so pleased he seemed to like his food. However, that night he had a reaction to it and screamed all night... It definitely scared me weaning him. But a few days later I decided to try again, this time carrot! This time it was a lot more successful, he ate it well and no overnight screaming! We gave the veg 3 days to check definitely no reaction and then tried peas, and then parsnips. With this basics we could then move on to some of the flavour combinations. It was a very slow process but did ensure there were no reactions and if there were then at least I knew what it was. Weaning did cause my son to suffer from constipation. Pharmacist said it was normal whilst their tummies got used to food rather than milk. A few Ella's kitchen pouches of prunes soon sorted it out. He is now 1, we are still wary of sweet potato but he generally happily munches on most vegetables. 

• I can't remember the first one... but soon after I blended some sweetcorn because I thought my son should love the sweet taste. I didn't realize he couldn't quite digest the skin and it was coming out his other end looking almost the same it went in. He was pooing big chunks of sweetcorn. He still isn't that keen on it...

• What was the first solid food you tried with your baby – and why?

Bananas - they're a pretty obvious first food choice, no cook, easy sterile 'packaging', it mushes up easily and is sweet and creamy to tempt baby with.

What kind of veg did you introduce your baby to first – and when? And which veg does your baby like best?

Mashed up carrots and potatoes was the vegetables I first introduced to my daughter, she was about 4 and a half months old - yes, I know its earlier than the recommended 6 months but she is breastfed and was showing the signs of readiness - holding her head up easily, bringing her hands to her mouth etc. She's now one years old and she enjoys a variety of vegetables so it's hard to choose just one but I'd say she does enjoy feeding herself peas, they're handy little finger foods that are a cheerful colour, fun to eat, small enough to not have to worry too much about choking and help with her pincer grip/dexterit. 😊

What challenges have you faced when introducing veg? Have you got any tips for other mums on getting your baby to eat veg?

My tip would be not to stress too much about introducing new vegetables (and any other new foods) the first year is about learning and exploring new tastes and textures so don't worry if they don't take to it straight away - or even at all! Babies are just like grown ups with different likes and dislikes.

• We started with pureed vegetables as I didn't want him to develop a sweet tooth and luckily on balance all went well.  Our son cried lots when eating as if he really didn't want to eat it, but kept opening his mouth for more.  It was difficult to listen to, but we knew that milk alone was no longer satisfying him.  He will now eat most vegetables except mushrooms - he just doesn't like the texture, but on balance I think that's okay.

• We first introduced veg right from the start 6 months, one of the first and all time favourites with both boys was sweet potato because they are that fantastic orange and they taste fab! We always just had a real selection across the week and the kids always had what we were eating and that way they had lots of variety. What they like changes as they get bigger. We found broccoli also was popular because it's easy to hold! 

• When I weaned my babies I started off with pureed carrot and green veg . My daughter fed her 5 month old following the baby - led weaning idea. Emily had soft cooked carrot sticks, cucumber sticks, toast fingers. She also had a bowl of spaghetti bolognese, which she loved. That made a very big mess! 

• The first solid food i gave my son was boiled carrot batons, he was around 7 months at the time. I gave him those along with things like cucumber cut into strips and broccoli and cauliflower florets. I chose these as i wanted to give him the chance to feed himself and explore alongside my spoon feeding him. I was very lucky that he seemed to like everything that i put infront of him, it wasn't until he was around 20 months old that he became 'fussy'. My advice to any mum at weaning stage would be just go for it and offer veg as finger foods, i did worry about choking etc but i never left his side and he was happy munch away on whatever i gave him. He really enjoyed feeding himself and i felt that it was important that he enjoyed the experience and another plus is it seemed to soothe his gums gnawing away on things like cucumber! Explore and enjoy it.

• For both my children we first tried softened sweet potatoes and yams because that's what my mum had given me as a baby, We also tried cooked pumpkin as well as the tried and tested carrots, peas and spinach. They loved them then and still do! 

• With both my daughters we started weaning at just before the six month mark when they seemed interested and ready.

As much as possible, they just ate what we were eating, with lots of fresh veg from the start. Sweet potato, butternut squash, broccoli and carrot were all early favourites as they are tasty and easy to cut into baby-fist sized chunks/sticks!

They were both pretty enthusiastic eaters from the start, and would eat more or less anything. I think the best way is to keep offering a wide range without making it a big deal, and not worrying too much if they don't eat a lot or if they go through a fussy stage.

• My son was a real veg lover but my little girl has always detested it. I found that the only way to persuade he to eat it was to mush it up and hide it in pasta or soup. She's a little better these days - she adores corn on the cob, carrots and she even quite likes a salad - so it is definitely worth persisting. Meanwhile, my son is often found munching on a massive pile of raw veg.

• The first solid food my son tried was banana, because i was eating a banana and he grabbed it from me and started to eat it - being a bit nervous of him choking I then mashed it up and he was away. 

We tried carrots and broccoli as first veg.  He loves pureed roasted parsnip and butternut squash.  The only thing has wasn't keen on was mashed potato.

My best tip would be to get some ice cube trays and batch cook some veggies, then you can just defrost 1 cube at a time, or combine different flavours together easily. 

• I just start by mixing a little veg in with mashed potato. The sweeter veg like carrots and sweet potato went well but things like cauliflower she wouldn`t eat until she was older.

• With my little girl we gave her sweet potato and she loved it! She had already been having bits of porridge so she was used to having some texture and she seemed to really enjoy the sweet potato that we gave her. Then we moved on to other things and then mixtures of veg. We are yet to find a vegetable that she doesn't like. My advice would be try them steadily one at a time so that you can tell how your baby will react to each foods (e.g. if they get constipated) and then you know how your baby does with the food 

• I made a big mistake when weaning my girls and went the shop bought route. Consequently, neither of them like veg. I recently watched a program that said babies are much more likely to eat veg when you give it to them but then their taste buds can change when they hit toddler age and they might turn their noses up to veg they were eating previously. The advise was to continue to offer the veg in the hope they will come to tolerate and even like it and the more variety of veg, the better.

• I never saw giving vegetables to my children as a problem. I started them off with puree carrots and broccoli. Separately and on their own. I then introduced cauliflower and garden peas, pureed too. As they got older vegetables were just part of their meal, no big deal. A favourite of mine was pasta, plum tomatoes, courgettes, all cooked then whizzed up in a blender, my two gobbled it down. Children will see what everybody else eats as normal. Eat well and your children will too. By the time they were 18 months they ate most veggies, snacking on and carrot sticks. Couldn't get them to like sprouts though! But I did try. 

• I am currently weaning my 6 month old twins, the first I gave them was baby rice but they found this very bland. I know this because I tried porridge next & clean bowls. 

We are now on to pureed carrots which they love, broccoli is a firm favourite too.

The challenges are... The nappys, my goodness you need a peg! And my tip is try not to buy many of the desserts that are on sale, we don't have a dessert after every meal so why should a baby, also you are encouraging a sweet tooth 

This discussion has been closed.

Featured Discussions