Forum home Product Tests Sponsored discussions
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Weaning your baby onto solid food: tell Ella’s Kitchen about introducing veg: voucher to win!

124»

Replies

• Options

Getting veg into my 3 year old has become a big challenge, at 9 months he would eat every veg going but by the age of 2 just refused it blank, which was hard to see, He would be fine if it was a soup or stew but that was my lot, now i have had to turn to the hidden veg in his food, lasagne and curry are perfect for this and 2 of his favourite dishes which helps.

my 19 month old son is fruit and veg crazy, he loves everything from melon to banana's and pea's to butternut squash, i some times see my 3 year old watching his little brothers munching their veg and fruit and it looks like his going to take a step and try it but he tends to push it away, i do have fears my 19 month old will also start pushing it away once he turns 2...

and my 7 month old has just started on food, he is very keen on veg not so much fruit right now, he loves sucking and munching on broccoli, he seems to like the taste of turnips and carrots which is fab as he can have that mashed up with some fresh fish or chicken, he also like sweet potato.

we have always made meal times fun and a time to explore new tastes

• Options

I started weaning using very soft fruit and veg, banana was an easy one to mash up and would add my breastmilk (or formula would do the same I would imagine if not breastfeeding) and mash them together, so they got used to the taste gradually. Weetabix mixed with fruit & breastmilk was another really good starter food (making sure the biscuit is thoroughly soaked and mushy). I would mash up every fruit and veg under the sun...avocados, mangos, pears, apples, broccolli, carrots, sweet potato etc etc as time went on. If the fruit was hard I would simply boil it until it was soft enough and use a hand blender to blend it all into a manageable paste. They weren't fussy as that was all they knew, I avoided anything unhealthy so they had no basis for comparison on taste.

Once they got used to feeding I started adding more things and making batches, which meant I could freeze home made meals for them, which was always handy in a rush.

I found Lorrianne Kellys baby and toddler eating plan book very useful, gave plenty of easy to do ideas, I would just adapt and change some ingredients as I went along depending on what I had. But it was a good basis to get me going and on the right track :-) Finger foods came later, I just worked at my babies pace. Was very lucky, never had much trouble on the feeding front with either. 

Its just a gradual process and if you make it fun for them, they enjoy the experience (hopefully that is lol) :-)

• Options

Thanks everyone for your posts on this sponsored thread. We've gone past the closing time and date now, so we're going to close the thread.

We'll re-open it again, briefly, on Thursday to announce the winner's name.

• Options

Morning all. Just re-opening the thread briefly, a little later than promised (apologies!) to announce the winner of the £100 Amazon voucher.

And the winner is... Tyra786. Congratulations! We'll be dropping you a mail about your prize today.

Thank you so much again to everyone else who posted. We're sorry you can't all win! But please do look out for – and enter – other Sponsored discussion threads here on MadeForMums Chat: we'll be having some more very soon!

This discussion has been closed.

Featured Discussions